3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help Laramie 4WD wheel arm noise !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 02:52 PM
secretman_z@hotmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Need Help Laramie 4WD wheel arm noise !!!

Hello ,im new to this forum !!!
Im from Tunisia and i have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Laramie .
1 : Recently i went into a Sandy road and it was a bit bumpy .Anyways the car stared making a very annoyning noise ,like squeezing or metal rubbing .
i figured where it comes from ,apparently its from the Wheel arm " the rubber joints r messed up " i added some pictures to show exactly where its coming from . but seeing there r no mechanics here that can do anything about nor a dodge dealers .i have to do it on my own or at least tell the mechanic what to do .
2 : I found out that the 4wd drive doesnt work ,and when putting it on AWD the car doesnt move . so i went underneath and guess what i found !!! the front " axle " i donno what to call is not THERE !!! so obviously i need to buy a new one ,but what do i really need to buy the whole thing or just the arm ,please trell me . i added a picture showing it .

3 it starting to get boring ,too long !! but really i aint got no body else to ask and talk to about my dodge ,here everybody is about french cars !!! ANYWAYS , the last thing is the lights on my cd player dont work and the audio system controler on the steering wheel doesnt work !!!

Thank you for you patience guys !!!

all the pictures here !!! i couldnt upload them all .
http://img535.imageshack.us/g/angrybb.jpg/

Attached Thumbnails Need Help Laramie 4WD wheel arm noise !!!-1.jpg   Need Help Laramie 4WD wheel arm noise !!!-2.jpg   Need Help Laramie 4WD wheel arm noise !!!-3.jpg   Need Help Laramie 4WD wheel arm noise !!!-4.jpg   Need Help Laramie 4WD wheel arm noise !!!-4w.jpg  

Last edited by secretman_z@hotmail.com; 03-13-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: added the whole pictures album link .
Old 03-14-2011, 04:46 AM
secretman_z@hotmail.com

No one knows ?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:20 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

welcome to the site. Its not that we dont know, it just some times take a little time to get some responses....LOL

In those pics, what you have circled are the upper ball joints and control arm bushings. The good news is when you buy a new upper control arm it will come with new upper ball joints and control arm bushings.

On the other good side, since you dont have a front axle (because I guess someone left it out at some point) it will make it easier to change the upper control arms.

As for your CD player, I am assuming it is after market and not the one that came with the truck originally? If so then it is normal for the steering wheel remotes NOT to work.

There are adapters out there you can buy to make it work but it is not worth it in my opinion.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:14 PM
secretman_z@hotmail.com

YES !!! THANK YOU
A reply ))
just kiddin !!
Anyways about the upper arm !!! is it possible that not the whole upper arm is messed up ,because i live overseas and the shipping is and tax here is very expensive !!! so is it possible to only change the joints ?!! " they look like rubber joints "
.for the front axle , i called the guy who sold me the car and he said that he removed it to let it run on 2wd only cause it uses less fuel !!! and he didnt go offroad with it . so if i need to buy one which exact part would i need for the front axle ?!!
, for the cd player ,its the original one !!!but i think that there is something wrong with fuses ?!! can it be ?

Thanks

Old 03-23-2011, 09:42 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It is possible to replace just the rubber bushings in the upper control arm if thats all you need and if the boot on the upper ball joint is in good condition. I guess the guy who had the truck before didnt keep the parts???

As for the front axle, you can download the 05 Parts Catalog from the links in my signature and find them in there. They should be in Section 2.

As for the radio, if it isnt working then first check the fuses. From there pull the radio out and check the wires at the back of the head unit to make sure they are plugged in and have voltage. If you have voltage but no radio, then the radio is dead. If you have no voltage then you likely need to download the 05 Service Manual and use it to help with the wiring schematics and isolate your issue

Old 03-24-2011, 05:02 AM
secretman_z@hotmail.com

Originally Posted by weedahoe
It is possible to replace just the rubber bushings in the upper control arm if thats all you need and if the boot on the upper ball joint is in good condition. I guess the guy who had the truck before didnt keep the parts???

As for the front axle, you can download the 05 Parts Catalog from the links in my signature and find them in there. They should be in Section 2.

As for the radio, if it isnt working then first check the fuses. From there pull the radio out and check the wires at the back of the head unit to make sure they are plugged in and have voltage. If you have voltage but no radio, then the radio is dead. If you have no voltage then you likely need to download the 05 Service Manual and use it to help with the wiring schematics and isolate your issue
Thanks alot for the reply !!i will check everythin and let you know what happened .

Old 04-27-2011, 05:36 PM
secretman_z@hotmail.com

apparently the noise is from the lower arm ball joint finllay found it ,its got around half an inch loose space !!! anyways gonna order one now !!!

Quick Reply: Need Help Laramie 4WD wheel arm noise !!!