3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

High-Beams

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 04:55 AM
Ethan_05_24
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High-Beams

Okay, I've mentioned this already a few times...but no one has answered about it. I recently installed my Halo/LED projector head lights, and after trial and error got the Halo/LEDs to work witht the parking lights. Everything runs smoothly now but the High Beams...they WON'T come on at all. If I turn them on the projectors just turn off and only the Halos/LEDs and Parking Lights are on...the harness that plugs straight into the factory plug works alright I'm guessing, and the high beams still work with the stock lights, at one point in the installation I had one Halo and one stock on and the stock high beam came on and the Halo did not. I just want to know if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a way to fix it. Any and all help is appreciated!

-Ethan

Old 03-18-2011, 08:11 AM
cjs4444
All Star

So does it not have one wires coming from both blubs that splice into one plug that should match the factory plug?

Did you check your fuses as you mentioned?

Old 03-18-2011, 08:26 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds to me like there is/are wires not correct in the new headlight housings. They are not matching your OEM truck wiring. Have you jumped 12v to the high beam lights in the new headlights to make sure they work?

If not I would do that first JUST to make sure they do. Then once you know what wires on the new housings need 12v to make them come on, I would look in the Wiring section on the Srvc Man and identify the high beam wire in your truck and make sure those two are connected together when you connected the two harness plugs. Sounds like one wire is backwards to me.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Ethan_05_24
Veteran

Thanks for the answers guys, but I found my fix. It came to me while driving because I was thinking about the lights and how the Halos/LEDs got to work and thought...what if I splice the power wire directly to the headlight's High Beam wire, so I got some spare wire and some quick connectors, put 2 and 2 together and bam, I now have a set of fully working head lights. The high beams, low beam, halos, and LEDs all work like a charm. Now I just need to buy a bulb and fixture for the eyebrow LED bar. Again, thanks for the answers guys!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:00 PM
slimvela
Professional

Originally Posted by Ethan_05_24
Thanks for the answers guys, but I found my fix. It came to me while driving because I was thinking about the lights and how the Halos/LEDs got to work and thought...what if I splice the power wire directly to the headlight's High Beam wire, so I got some spare wire and some quick connectors, put 2 and 2 together and bam, I now have a set of fully working head lights. The high beams, low beam, halos, and LEDs all work like a charm. Now I just need to buy a bulb and fixture for the eyebrow LED bar. Again, thanks for the answers guys!
which power wire? sounded like the connector from the new headlamps is the culprit. you have proved that the vehicle harness is good. I'm thinking your fix might be perfect for thereifixedit.com

Old 03-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Ethan_05_24
Veteran

Originally Posted by slimvela
which power wire? sounded like the connector from the new headlamps is the culprit. you have proved that the vehicle harness is good. I'm thinking your fix might be perfect for thereifixedit.com
One the back side of the head lamp there are two bulb housings with two wires coming out of each. Both have a ground wire, and both have a power wire. The high beams had a red power wire coming out of them into the harness, but for some reason could not draw power from that, so I just connected a wire before the harness on the lights to the High Beam power wire and then connected it behind the stock harness to the high beam wire and power ran through that to it instead of the harness which allowed to work. Yes the vehicle harness is good because it works on the stock headlights, I'm guessing somethine was wrong with the wiring in the head lamp harnesses, or I missed something. Either way I worked my way around it and got it going. If anyone ever has a problem like I did I'd be more than happy to walk them through my fix with pics and what not.

Quick Reply: High-Beams