3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight Harness Retainer Failed.. WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight Harness Retainer Failed.. WTF?

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this. I went out to install the new PIAA headlights on my Ram 3500 today and on both headlights, after pulling the 'retention' clip back and the plug away from the bulb, I ended up with several pieces of plastic in the plug. I've determined that this is the retainer to prevent the plug from separating from the bulb.

Is this a common problem?

I now have to wait until the middle of next week for the shop to bring the part in and get it installed. Can I safely run the headlights without the retainer clip? I cannot for the life of me figure out how to augment the plug with zip ties, or anything other than glue to help them stay on.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:53 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I would not run the truck with out them as bumps and vibrations could make the bulbs come out. Does it look like heat fatigue got to them?

Old 03-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

No, it just appears to be old plastic crumbling! It's like they were 'dried out' and became brittle.

It is not the bulb retainers that broke, just the plug retainers. The bulbs are secure in the headlight enclosure.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:32 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Oh ok, i was thinking the grey round ring that locks the bulb in place. So you are talking about the actual electrical connector to the bulbs itself? If so LMK and I can get you some replacement part numbers or you can buy new sockets off ebay. I bought some a while back that was ceramic on the inside to resist heat

Old 03-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

Yeah.. I ended up getting them and they were installed same day. They are working out.

The dealer suggested that possibly having the higher wattage bulb in there would cause them to fail... and right behind him at the parts counter were some PIAA bulbs for sale... :S

Old 03-25-2011, 06:49 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

LOL....yeah, it sounds like heat fatigue to me which is why i asked. But as long as you got it going then I wouldnt worry about it. Did your wires have any melting or anything on them?

Old 03-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Cthulhu
Captain

No evidence of heat fatigue at all. I would have written it up to it being -15C when I was pulling the bulbs out, but it seems its the heat, not the cold according to most I speak with. :S

Quick Reply: Headlight Harness Retainer Failed.. WTF?