3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tires for 20" Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 01:56 PM
HedleyLamarr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for 20" Wheels

I'm needing to get tires for my '03 damn soon

I've got the Goodyears that came on the truck and I'm about to roll 50,000 miles on them, so I can only assume that they're great tires to go with again...

I was driving through the North Carolina mountains in torrential rain a couple nights ago and sliding which made me take note that a new set of tires might prevent me from winding up at the bottom of a ravine, which would suck

So, are there better tires I should look at?

Obviously I got my money's worth from the Goodyears, so as of now, those are getting put back on

Old 06-28-2005, 08:36 PM
pythonbunny
Professional
Default RE: Tires for 20" Wheels

get the toyo open country at its only about 30$ more a tire but worth it

Old 06-29-2005, 03:12 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

I had a set of Bridgestone Dueler H/P with UNI-T AQ on my last truck('01 Toyota double cab Tacoma) after the OEM BFG's wore out and I tell you what, the Bridgestones were probly the best truck tires I have ever owned. Excellent dry traction and awesome in the wet, I was really amazed the first time it rained really hard and there was alot of standing water on the freeway and I was able to go 90 without any Hydroplaning or loss of grip. In fact I also got a speeding tickect while doing so and the cop that stopped me asked me why in the world was I going so fast in such a downpour, I had to tell him that I was simply amazed with my tires and had gotten carried away "testing" them out, he was pretty pissed off at me.

Bridgestones come in a P275/55R20(along with many other sizes) so they will work with the 20's, although my '04 Hemi uses the newer size of 275/60R20.

Dont get me wrong, I am moderately happy with the Goodyears that came on the truck when new, but only a year and 28,000 miles later there are a considerable amount of cracks within the treads that shouldnt be there in such a short period of time. This leads me to believe that the quality of the rubber that Goodyear is using isnt the best and could end up causing a failure before too long as the cracks increase both in size and depth. I will not be purchasing another set, I will go with the Bridgestones...

Old 06-30-2005, 01:05 PM
NaviDave

I have to deal with snow up here - so I will be getting the Michelin LTX M/S.

I had cracks in the tread appear as well - after about 15 months!

Good Year would not warranty them at all - so I suggest not buying their products.

I am just over 3 years now and about 45,000 miles.

The LTX's look really solid - seems they would also be good in the rain. Not too aggressive.

Supposedly, they also last a long time.

They are also slightly cheaper than the HP's.

Dave

Old 06-30-2005, 03:00 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I've had Michelin LTX M/S on all of my previous trucks. Quite, durable, great traction, etc. Look here for more info regarding tires. They also offer a nifty comparison chart based on personal reviews at that site.

Quick Reply: Tires for 20" Wheels