3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 09:26 PM
MLS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC issues

This has me racking my brain trying to figure it out.
05 1500 5.7 ac will not work during the day unless the relay is jumped.
Correct amount of freon is in it, condenser fan cuts on but compressor will not kick in. But at night when leaving from work the ac works fine. All variables are the same with outside temp. The only difference is night.
Done changed the pressure switch, anything else I may be over looking?

Old 05-31-2023, 10:47 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Tried replacing or swapping the relay?

Old 05-31-2023, 05:18 PM
MLS

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Tried replacing or swapping the relay?
Yes to replacing and swapping it around.

Old 05-31-2023, 08:18 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

There's a high and a low side pressure switch. You say the correct amount of refrigerant is in it. How have you verified this? Have you hooked a manifold up to it?

Old 06-01-2023, 11:33 AM
MLS

Originally Posted by Prismatic
There's a high and a low side pressure switch. You say the correct amount of refrigerant is in it. How have you verified this? Have you hooked a manifold up to it?
Yes I have, I know of the pressure switch above the compressor where is the other one?

Old 06-02-2023, 05:00 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MLS
Yes I have, I know of the pressure switch above the compressor where is the other one?
Hm, looks like I was wrong it only has the one switch.

The following 2 users liked this post by Prismatic:
mchulicksr (07-04-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 08:17 AM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That one is a sensor above the compressor on the discharge line, not a switch. It actually provides a pressure value back to the computer and is 5v, signal, and reference.... computer have everything so complicated. ( or is it A I )

There is also an evaporator temperature probe in the airbox. Again, it sends a temperature value back to the computer. If the probe senses the evaporator is down around 32*F it will momentarily cycle the compressor off so that the evaporator doesn't become a block of ice.

When did you do the Tataka passenger killer recall (airbag) and when did you start having this reverse vampire esque anomaly?

I am challenged to find a similar situation on my NEW TRUCK where [WHEN] the compressor engages and the A/C is almost too cold, but as soon as I put up the four windows, mine is gone. No rhyme, no reason.... just something odd.
While I do have my MVAC 609 card, it is these computer controls where my skills start to become thin.
We had a Mercedes coupe for AC faults, it turned out to be the computer in the rear fuse box was at fault. when we replaced that fuse box, it then had to be programmed. So we had to BUY the right to repair from Mercedes parts department to have a license to program the customers car.

I have been a Dodge RAM enthusiast all of about 70 hours as of now, so I nary claim to be an expert.

I write this on all my forums, please don't take it the wrong way, afterall,I am NEW!

I hope this helps you.

Please return and tell how this information worked for you, what you find, and how you eventually fix your vehicle (even if it is that you brought it to a mechanic / dealership for repair)
It is your feedback and final repair report that will make these forums useful to others in the future.
Many times I search and find the same exact fault that I am having, someone suggests how to fix it, the patron follows the suggestion and then never returns to say yea or nea...
The forum thread just goes dead because the person fixed their fault and has not a care to offer the answer anymore. Please don't be that guy.

Cheers!

Last edited by FabricGATOR; 07-02-2023 at 08:25 AM.

Quick Reply: AC issues