3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

One more time

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Kevno6
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One more time

2002 4.7liter with too much pressure building up in coolant tank and pushing it out small hose coming out of container, about 8 to 16 oz a month. I smell antifreeze when I get out of truck and hear hissing.

1. My truck doesn't over heat and runs beautiful 138,000 miles
2. No oil in antifreeze
3. No Antifreeze in oil
4. Not blowing smoke
5. No check Engine light
6. No smell of antifreeze at exhaust.
Other than getting a pressure test soon I am ruling out a head gasket leak only because I have been fighting this for years with my truck and it has not gotten worse it's just pissing me off now.

I have replace radiator in 2010 due to blowing side take on it on a trip to Florida which I say was because it was original (old) and I think the pressure played a part in it. New Thermostat, hoses and have flushed system. Have also burp the system but have never heard it burp.

I have noticed upper radiator hose gets hard as a rock when hot and never have I noticed the whole radiator warm just the driver side real hot and passenger side cold also lower radiator hose cold. I understand radiator is cooling antifreeze but left side should at least be warm the same with the lower hose.

It has the original water pump on it and I am wondering if the fins could have been deteriorated on it due to years of antifreeze and it is not circulating enough through system hence the pressure building up.

Any thoughts or ?

Old 04-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Owensue
Veteran

Check this other thread with the same symptoms...
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...m-stumped.html

Sounds like maybe the water pump impeller failed.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Marx
Record Breaker

you may have a clog in your cooling system

Quick Reply: One more time