3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3rd Gen Front End Clunk / Clicking

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:21 PM
junkyrdog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Gen Front End Clunk / Clicking

So heres what i have after days of research and trial and error

2004 dodge ram 2500 with 2" leveling kit. I had a 6" kit and took it off to put it back to factory ride somewhat. So my buddy had the stock control arms which had a couple thousand miles on them and had been sitting for a few years.

But driving over small pot holes or divots in the road there is a clunk coming from the front end, seems to be more drivers side but also heard on passenger side. going over speed bumps its defiantly noticeable to.

What ive done:- New ball joints, new track bar, new shocks, DQ the sway bar to determine if the links were bad, New steering box, checked the axle u joints, the hub seems to be good.

Note: this didn't start right after i put it down to the 2" leveling kit its been on for about a year now!

Im ready to drive this thing off a cliff? HELP

Is it acceptable for the tire to move a small amount when jacked up? in the 12 and 6 o'clock position, or is the hub not suppose to allow any movement?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:20 PM
MYater1
Don't know if you ever got your truck figured out or not, but since I just saolved *******y the same problem I will let you know what I found.

Both the U-Joints on the front end were found to be bad. They looked good on first inspection, but the tire had rotation play in it when it was positioned on jacks. I found the caps chipped out around the edges and the roller bearings in the caps were mostly missing, and the ones that were still there were all beat up. Due to the missing rollers it would clunk as I drove it.

As I said, on the first visual insp they looked good, but when I had it on jack stands and checked for rotational play is when I found them failing.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:53 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Junkyrdog registered on the 13 and last log in was 5 days later so looks like he is a hit and runner. THX for trying to help him though. Maybe it will help someone else out

Old 06-07-2011, 10:26 AM
junkyrdog

Thanks for the help guys. I replaced my U- joints as well and it was still there. So after a **** load of money spent and further inspection i found it to be the Fox shocks and the grade 8 bolt they send with the stem eliminator kit to run these shocks had some slop in it. Since the fox shocks dont use bushings it was the source of my clunking noise.

At least my front end has all new parts

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Front End Clunk / Clicking