3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No Buss message, will not turn over or start

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:02 PM
MNfarmboy
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Buss message, will not turn over or start

Well, here is my sad saga. Bought a 2006 diesel 2500 in August. started having no buss error and the truck won't turn over, click, no fuel pump, nothing. Get out, disconnect the battery, wait 10 seconds, get back in and the computer (TIPM) is reset, truck starts.

Saw a TSB saying it was the SKREEM module, had it replaced for $380, didn't fix the problem. Dealer said that it was the TIPM. Had it replaced for $1,400 and brought my truck home on a Friday night and parked in the garage. The very next morning I got in and same damn error. Towed to dealer who began working on it. Well, one of the expert technicians left the key on so the battery went dead. Recharged on Monday which then reset the computer (TIPM) and after three weeks they couldn't replicate the problem. That was the middle of November. Since then no problems until yesterday. Problem is back.

went to the store just fine. got out of the truck, hit the remote lock button on the key and realized the horn didn't honk and the lights didn't flash. Everytime this no buss error happens is when I lock the doors with the remote key lock.

Towed to dealer who said they checked the ohms in and out of the TIPM and all was normal. Disconnected the battery and now it works again, please come pick it up. The dealer and the Chrysler hotline said it is because there are aftermarket products installed. Pod gauges, stereo, DVD player, and aftermarket heated seats. Problem is the only thing I was using was the stereo. Do not buy the answer and very frustrated. DVD was installed by Best Buy by a previous owner in 2007 per the paper work.

Very frustrated because in November dealer said the computer was the problem and agreed to stand behind the work. Now the dealer says the TIPM is not the problem. So either they need to fix or I need my money back because they sold me something I didn't need.

So experts, any ideas? Is it really the aftermarket products? Is it the start solenoid circuit over current? I see many posts saying the gauges go out but still runs. Mine, nothing. Like there is no motor, starter, radio...

Any help is very much appreciated and I apologize for the very long story.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:37 AM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I'm going to take a shot in the dark...

The 08-10 ford super dutys have similar issues at times. Come to find out, its the wiring harness to the tranny. There ends up being a short, and the truck doesn't know its in park. So it won't turn or start, but will throw a buss code. All that means is there is a communication loss, it happens with our top drives on the drilling rigs all the time. Anyways, after replacing the harness, all the owners report no issues. My brother in law just fought this similar issue with his 08 psd.

Gl, and let us know what you find

Old 04-17-2011, 12:30 PM
MNfarmboy
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip. Were the symptons the same where nothing worked electronically? I was told when the TIPM (Totally Integrated Program Module) was tested, none of the modules were communicating and that the cause was a spike in voltage / amps. Could the tranny wiring harness cause that to happen?

Quick Reply: No Buss message, will not turn over or start