3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 ram 2500 4x4 steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Lonestar ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm going to replace my gear box and see if it helps.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Lonestar ram

[QUOTE=StrangerDanger;2500479]My stock steering box in my 05 had a lot of play. I swapped it for a Borgenson unit and used a Borgenson intermediate shaft. The steering in my truck is now as tight as my 06 Mustang GT's.[/QUOTE

Thanks! I will replace gear box and see if it helps.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:16 PM
03CTDCO

LoneStar Ram

Did you replace it with the Borgenson "Dodge Box" ? Any fit issues ? Also is the Borgenson intermediate shaft a pain to adjust ? I see there are many set screws with lock nuts. Is everything still tight ?

I'm chasing a wandering issue myself with the front end

Thank you

Old 05-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Lonestar ram

Originally Posted by 03CTDCO
LoneStar Ram

Did you replace it with the Borgenson "Dodge Box" ? Any fit issues ? Also is the Borgenson intermediate shaft a pain to adjust ? I see there are many set screws with lock nuts. Is everything still tight ?

I'm chasing a wandering issue myself with the front end

Thank you
I replaced steering shaft with borgeson. It helped but I replaced box with cardone. I still have wandering but was told that since I have 2" leveling kit that it is a caster issue with alignment. May need longer lower control arms to bring axle back to center. But as far as steering shaft goes, it was an easy install.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:03 AM
lrnintendo
Amateur

Have same problem. Not sure what is going on since 2 different shops say everything is fine..

Old 06-01-2011, 10:02 PM
03CTDCO

StrangerDanger
Tell me about your Borgeson steering box you installed. Any fit problems? Did you install the Borgeson Dodge Box ? I think that's what they call it.

I'm chasing a front end wandering issue myself. Wondering if the Borgeson "Dodge Box" really helped ? I have the Borgeson intermediate shaft but I have not installed it yet. My track bar is tight, my ball joints have no play, and I replaced the steering components with 2009 parts last yr and I still have a wandering issue. I also replaced the steering gear box and added a sector shaft brace last yr. Really didnt help. To me I always thought the redhead steering gear box seemed like it had play in it. Explain your symptoms before you replaced the gear box and shaft. Thank you !! I appreciate your time.

I guess I'm looking for good feedback on that Dodge Box and if you had any other issues before you replaced it.

Thank you

Old 10-03-2011, 09:57 PM
bigjim220

I had the same problem with my truck the problem was in the steering shaft there was excess play after about four trips to the dealer they found it but they replaced a mess of other stuff.look at the steering shaft close mine would really clunk when i would hit a small bumpor manhole cover.

Quick Reply: 2006 ram 2500 4x4 steering issues