3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Ram Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:21 PM
headstrong569
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2005 Ram Transmission issues

Hey guys new to this site but I have a question I hope someone can answer. I have a 2005 2500 5.7 hemi 4 door with auto tranny. Recently while driving the truck from time to time it would sputter and backfire. Now today after doing this to my wife the truck stopped responding. as in she would push the gas while the truck is in gear but it wouldn't go anywhere. in every gear you put the truck in it acts just like it's in neutral. RPM's go up but truck won't move. All the fuses and relays in the fuse box are fine and working. shift linkage to tranny is moving and working properly what else could i check?

Old 05-09-2011, 07:24 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Start with the obvious, when was the transmission fluid changed last? What does the fluid look like? Is it pale, or brownish, does it smell burnt?

A clogged tranny filter would give those symptoms as well...

Old 05-10-2011, 09:09 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Along with those questions above, here are some more. How many miles? Is the trans fluid level correct? Any check engine lights on?

Old 05-10-2011, 01:01 PM
headstrong569
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The truck has 178xxx miles on it. The fluid is at the correct level it's bright red no burnt smell. I have had the truck for about 5 years or so and I have never changed the fluid in the tranny never serviced it in anyway. As bad as it sounds I didn't know it needed done regularly like oil and such. All I have ever done to it is check the fluid level and it's never been low or discolored. I'll start with changing the fluid and filter and such before I go out and start buying senors or tow it to a garage. thanks for the help. will let you know what happens oh btw there were no lights no warning signs nothing at all. just all the sudden started acting like it was in neutral in every gear. It doesn't even lunge when you put it into a gear. I've seen transmissions go out before but they have always had either reverse or drive never seen the whole thing just quit like this.

Last edited by headstrong569; 05-10-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:11 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok, well that makes you no different than most other people who never read the owners manual......so thats normal. Not the best practice to have or keep but normal.

178k on the trans is a lot. 178k on the trans with original oil is even worse. Dont sweat that last part though because even if you changed the oil regularly and still had these issues at your current mileage, I would call it a normal death.

You did good (IMO) to get 178k and no issues before now.

Have you changed the spark plugs in it? Done other normal maintenance?

I would hop on Craigslist and look around there for another transmission or maybe call some salvage yards. You can call some local rebuild shops also but obviously they will cost more but should come with a warranty.

Quick Reply: 2005 Ram Transmission issues