3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie here with possible tranny trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 PM
02silversport
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here with possible tranny trouble...

Hey guys ive got an 02 ram 1500 4x4 5.9 automatic transmission and the last few days its been jumping up in rpms drastically at weird times. So thinking it was the tranmission i dropped the pan and changed the filter and fluid...fluid was awful as the truck has 72000 miles and never been changed(ive had the truck for 3 years) and my uncle said there was SOME metal in the fluid...the problem got a little better but not fixed...could it be the cam sensor? Kinda lost so any help would be appreciated....Thanks in advanced...

Attached Thumbnails Newbie here with possible tranny trouble...-img_2430-1-1-1.jpg  

Last edited by 02silversport; 05-11-2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: pic
Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you had metal in the fluid, even a little, I wouldn't be thinking any sensor, or even the solenoids, but be looking at the tranny itself.

The 46RH/RE are not as forgiving as the (5)45rfe and changing the fluid is much more imperative to transmission operation and life. The fluid should be changed at 30k max miles religiously. The book for my '98 1500 RCSB 4x4 5.9 called for 12k changes for extreme duty/towing and 24k under "B" (normal) schedule. I towed a bass boat MOST weekends, not heavy at under 3k lbs, but I changed the tranny fluid at 15k for the entire time I had it.

I'd get it in to a reputable tranny shop and have them look at it...

Old 05-12-2011, 11:26 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Just for the sake of asking, are you by chance getting any check engine lights?

Old 05-12-2011, 04:09 PM
02silversport
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the worst fear is that its the transmission....no check engine light either....its not grinding,slipping, or hard to get into gear. It mainly happens when I'm going uphill and the truck downshifts and the rpms shoot wayyyy up. I've been told everything from clutch plate to can sensor to the tranny needs to be overhauled.

Last edited by 02silversport; 05-12-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-12-2011, 06:55 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, that's why I suggest you take it to a reputable shop in your area, one that either has a very solid reputation or where you actually know them.

I'd lean toward the tranny given the length of time the original fluid was in it coupled with finding some metal shavings/filings in there. The fact it's not slipping or causing a CEL is an indicator it's not totally gone - yet. Catching a tranny problem early is just like catching cancer early, many times it can be repaired inexpensively if caught before major damage occurs.

I would have leaned more towards the solenoids which are inexpensive to replace, but the shavings indicate a little more serious problem...

Quick Reply: Newbie here with possible tranny trouble...