3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fog Light Install/Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Gahgoots
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Light Install/Replacement

Hi all - I've searched the forums but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for, and I apologize if this has been addressed before. It is a variation of the typical fog light install question, so bear with me...

I have an '04 1500 with no factory fog lights, although the harness does appear to be there. I'd like to install fog lights, but really don't want the oem's or cheap ebay kits. Has anyone been able to buy a quality fog light (Hella/PIAA) and made it fit in the factory location?

I know PIAA sells a mounting kit, but it's over $100, plus the cost of the lights. I'm wondering if I can get an open pocket (since mine has the closed pocket now) and somehow hang a new fog light in that opening. I'd even be open to modifying my current pockets, although I'm not sure what they look like if you cut the grille out.

I really don't care to use the factory harness or switch (which I hear fails with better fog lights - 55w), and I'm fine with wiring it up myself. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 05-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 06 and the factory lights are Hella's in which I replaced the bulb with a brighter Hella bulb, and man is it bright. Not sure about the 04's but I'm sure somebody will chime in and let you know. Don't be so quick to bash the OEM parts as they are usually made by an outside reputable company. Good Luck man.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

As long as the harness is in place you could but the rest on ebay and wire it up for use. However, some trucks that do not have fogs from the factory or dealer may or may NOT be programmed to have the fogs enables to work. If you do then you are golden. If not, then you must go to the dealer and have then enable it through the use of their Starscan tool.

However, if you are willing to wire then yourself to a toggle switch then you can most certainly circumvent all those possible issues.

If it were me i would just buy the OEM fogs on ebay or find a truck getting parted out and wire them with a SPDT 12v relay to the battery and a toggle switch

Old 05-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Gahgoots

I'm mostly concerned about the mounts though.

What I'm trying to do is get a set of fog lights, wire them up myself, and mount them in the stock openings. I'd prefer a set of PIAA or Hellas that fit the openings. So I'm trying to find if there's any alternatives to buying the factory/ebay mounting kits.

The actual fog lights/wiring/switches isn't an issue, but just how to mount them. Anyone ever rig up their own mounts, or know if factory mounts can be modified to accept aftermarket fog lights?

Old 05-19-2011, 01:12 PM
rdefayette
Default fog lights

Make it easy on yourself.
As said before the factory lights ARE Hellas (look on the back).
Get a pair of factory lights replace the bulbs with a higher output, wire a relay in the to run the higher output bulb and you're done.
Just like weehahoe said.
Been there done that super easy.
As the/us old racers used to say
"speed costs money...how fast can you afford to go"?
cubic dollars can make anything work.

Quick Reply: Fog Light Install/Replacement