3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with 5.7L Hemi Sudden Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:20 PM
DDay77
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 5.7L Hemi Sudden Engine Noise

I am new here and need some help. 2006 1500 MegaCab 2 wheel drive truck. Started it yesterday and it sounded as though it had no oil, and had a loud clattering noise. It seems to come from the right side og the truck. Checked the oil, and it is OK, and use suggested oil. Changed every 3000 miles, or really close. Had since new, no abuse, no change in acceleration, no bucking, no bogging down, just this loud clattering. Truck has 63,000 original miles on it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I really like my truck and I don't want to screw it up. I am handy with a wrench, but could use some help at the diagnostics.
Thanks all,
John

Old 05-19-2011, 04:27 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it sound like it's at the top/heads area?
It might be something wrong in the valve train?
I know 03's were susceptible to valve spring breakage???

Old 05-19-2011, 04:28 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yes.... Maybe a collapsed lifter??

Old 05-19-2011, 04:51 PM
DDay77
Amateur

It sounds like the older vehicles when the timing chain was bad. That chatter like sound? It does get more quiet as engine warms, but I think that would be from expansion. Have not had a problem at all with this truck until yesterday. What do you think should be my next move?

Old 05-19-2011, 05:56 PM
DDay77
Amateur
Default Follow up on this Hemi Engine Noise

OK, here is an update. This noise that I spoke about, well I just cold started the truck and got the sound again. But, after about 15 seconds the tapping cleared out and now the truck is running smooth and really quiet. What gives? I will say that my wife drove it to work a couple of days because I am working on an P0401 error code - EGR flow insufficient on her 03 Focus ZTW. Anyway, she let it get to "LO FUEL" light and I put 15 gallons fuel in yesterday. Do you think that the fuel gettin so low would have caused that knocking? Because now, it is humming with no tick, click, or noise at all. Also, I did put in 8 ounces of Seafoam about 2 weeks ago as well. Possibly dirty oil pickup screen? I am changing the oil this weekend BTW. Any ideas? Thanks all! Man, I really like this site!

Old 05-20-2011, 11:59 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Im assuming you changed the oil shortly after adding the Seafoam? Low fuel wont make that happen unless it gets really super low to the point where the tank is dry and you are missing on some cylinders. You can always put a manual oil gauge on it to check the oil pressure.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:06 PM
DDay77
Amateur
Default To Ride Another Day

Have not had the problem since I put gas in the truck. My wife drove it an wanted to "wait" until she got closer to home for fuel, hence the "LO FUEL" warning. It must have been close to dry! I will change the oil tomorrow. Is there any particular oil that would be a blessing? I usually run Castrol.

Quick Reply: Help with 5.7L Hemi Sudden Engine Noise