3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need some info on rebuilding my 3rd gen chassis

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:19 PM
truedef
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some info on rebuilding my 3rd gen chassis

Im not liking the feel of my truck even after new tie rods and shocks. So I have decided to tear it all down and install the following:

New moog Inner tie rods
New moog Outer tie rods
New moog upper control arms with bushings
New moog upper ball joints
New moog lower ball joints
New moog front sway bar links
New wheel hub assemblies (bearings and all)

Am I missing anything? Lastly I want to do my cv joints, are these something that I can rebuild or what? Where the hell do I go about getting these babies. I can find everything else.

I got an order on rock auto right now for about $700. She will drive like new!

Old 05-30-2011, 07:25 AM
stenerson
Veteran

Are you driving a 1500 4x4? The upper control arm and upper balljoint is one piece, I just replaced with moog also.
The cv joint is not worth rebuilding IMHO. You can buy new c/v halfshaft from 44 to 98 bucks in rockauto.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:31 PM
truedef

Originally Posted by stenerson
Are you driving a 1500 4x4? The upper control arm and upper balljoint is one piece, I just replaced with moog also.
The cv joint is not worth rebuilding IMHO. You can buy new c/v halfshaft from 44 to 98 bucks in rockauto.
This was the answer I needed, thanks man! I couldn't find a cv joint, but cv halfshaft is on there. Thanks

Old 05-30-2011, 08:14 PM
stenerson
Veteran

Originally Posted by truedef
This was the answer I needed, thanks man! I couldn't find a cv joint, but cv halfshaft is on there. Thanks
No prob. I tore the outer boot and was gonna order a repair kit. Then I saw the whole shaft was not much more. I replaced it last week.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:37 PM
truedef

Originally Posted by stenerson
No prob. I tore the outer boot and was gonna order a repair kit. Then I saw the whole shaft was not much more. I replaced it last week.
So from my understanding, these cv joints kind of just slide out of where they are, with force of course. And the new one will just press back in there?

This is after I have the ball joints and wheel bearings off.

Last edited by truedef; 05-31-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:29 PM
arani rey
Amateur

So from my understanding, these cv joints kind of just slide out of where they are, with force of course. And the new one will just press back in there?

I don't have any experience with this trucks half shafts, but every other vehicle I've done.. I've had to take the axle nut off, get the hub free, pop them from the case with a tug(mine had retaining clips that stayed on the end of the shaft), then carefully tap them out of the hubs. Watch out for that speed sensor on the drivers side. Or both if 4 wheel ABS

Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 PM
stenerson
Veteran

Yep, with the wheel bearing and ball joints off the steering knuckle is removed making it easier.
I've only done the driver side one. I gave a couple of light taps on the inner housing, (the one closest to differential) and that did the trick. That just get's it past a retaining ring. The new one I just shoved back in, I didn't need to apply much pressure. You hear/feel a little click when it sits itself back on that ring.

Last edited by stenerson; 05-31-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:08 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought all of those same thing minus the sway bar links (already new) and inner tie rods and all were Moog and only paid about $350 off ebay. Dont forget the alignment though

Old 06-03-2011, 12:38 PM
lungman
Amateur

I posted a link on here, in one of my threads recently, of a video of a guy pulling CVs on an 04 if that helps!

Old 06-04-2011, 01:12 PM
truedef

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I bought all of those same thing minus the sway bar links (already new) and inner tie rods and all were Moog and only paid about $350 off ebay. Dont forget the alignment though
Not saying your lieing... but thats crazy.

1 Upper control arm with a ball joint costs $90, so two is $200 shipped. Then each lower is at least $50. So thats $300. And then wheel/hub assemblies are just over $100 each. So were already over $400...

Inner tie rods are more too...

Quick Reply: Need some info on rebuilding my 3rd gen chassis