3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Burnt wires on ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 06:38 PM
tazman85305
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mlott132
Anyone know what the part number is for the connector plug that goes into the ignition switch? Are these available through the dealer or just at the boneyard?
AutoZone sells a kit from Duralast 1199 for the 2004 2500. Switch is the same. This is a common failure to Dodge vehicles and is about to generate a recall.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:28 PM
Reel fun
Default 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT burnt ignition switch and wires

Originally Posted by tazman85305
AutoZone sells a kit from Duralast 1199 for the 2004 2500. Switch is the same. This is a common failure to Dodge vehicles and is about to generate a recall.
I own a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT. I have paid $600 twice to two different dodge dealers and a third time told them just to replace the ignition switch and burnt wiring. I saved myself $230 in labor by buying the $70 blower motor and installing it myself. Only to have the same thing happen again a forth time. Do you have any clue when they will be doing a recall on this? If you don't can you direct me to where I can find out. I live in Florida and it's getting hot to have no Ac again. Tired of shelling out $ every year to temporarily fix the same problem

Old 04-22-2015, 02:25 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Why do a recall when very very few have the issue you do? You have to have tens of thousands of vehicles showing the same problembbefore a recall is even considered.

Myself, I drive an 04 with over 100k and never had to replace any of that. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe you have other issues causing that issue. IDK

Old 12-14-2016, 11:40 PM
Dustin Warren
Default Just Wait

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Why do a recall when very very few have the issue you do? You have to have tens of thousands of vehicles showing the same problembbefore a recall is even considered.

Myself, I drive an 04 with over 100k and never had to replace any of that. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe you have other issues causing that issue. IDK
I have an 04 5.7L as well, bought it 4 years ago with 119,000 mi. on it. and I thought I had gotten lucky also as I was having zero issues with the truck. until I hit 176,000 mi. that is.... Since then, it has been nothing short of a nightmare. blower motor and ignotion switch have gone out. fuel pump went out. the whole front end took a ****. had to replace 14 parts in the front end alone. (which isnt exactly uncommon for vehicles, just merely stating that it happened) reverse lights keep going out. headlights go out randomely. (FCM has something to do with that) Weird electrical issues now with wipers coming on randomely and sometines not working at all. high beams wont turn on or off randomely. got a power steering leak on the hose at the front of the radiator. power steering pump went out. water pump went out. Going through coolant at an alarming pace all the sudden. have an exhaust leak for a second time now. motor is burning oil for no reason all the sudden. got a vaccuum leak somewhere... There is more that Im forgetting to. So just wiat, itll happen to yours eventually. or maybe you will get lucky... But point is, that blower motor and ignition switch problem isnt just happening to a few people. Its a very, very, very common problem on these 3rd gen Dodges. They should absolutely do a recall on this.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:17 PM
Texashunter00
Default Burnt wires on ignition switch

I had this same issue last summer and I had to replace the ignition switch , the connector and wires. It lasted maybe two months and burned out again. Now this year same damn issue. Now I have to replace the ignition switch, connector and wires. What in the hell does it take for dodge to do a recall on faulty equipment. This is the third time I have to replace all of this within a year. The part are not cheap and don’t last even a year. Something is wrong with this issue. If this is how dodge handles problems with their trucks I won’t be buying another one. Time to sell this piece of **** and buy something else

Old 05-15-2018, 08:30 AM
KJINTF

It is indeed a common problem
The ignition switch is used instead of a relay to switch the entire blower motor load (typically 7 or 8 amps)
Very poor design!!!!!
A simple method to get several more years of life out of the ignition switch and connectors is to make sure the fan speed switch is turned to OFF when starting the vehicle
Then when needed after the ignition switch is in stable run mode turn the fan on

Old 05-16-2018, 02:23 PM
Lonewolf79

I have the same problem with a 02. I replaced the ignition box. It will run and then die. Then won’t start for another 30 min to an hour. All gages go to zero. Was this something that happened with yours?

Old 06-23-2018, 07:54 PM
Joedirtafk
Default Burnt ignition wires.

I had the exact same issue on my 04 1500. I had to take mine to the shop and have them replace the harness and the connector. I noticed today that the wires are getting hot again. Is there any work around that anyone has come up with to remove the power feed for the blower motor from the wiring harness and use a remote relay to feed power Instead. I really don’t want to shell out another $350 to repair it all again.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:56 PM
Moreyj

Did you ever find out what was making your gages go dead

Old 08-22-2019, 08:09 PM
Derrick S Seidler
Default Any update?

I got the same thing going on right now. Did you make any headway on figuring out the electrical issues so I might be able to chop the snakes head off? I'm having head light issues and wiper issues also I just changed my ac resistor and my ignition switch today.....I'm thinking more and more about sending it down the road....I have a 2004 5.7 117xxx miles

Originally Posted by Dustin Warren
I have an 04 5.7L as well, bought it 4 years ago with 119,000 mi. on it. and I thought I had gotten lucky also as I was having zero issues with the truck. until I hit 176,000 mi. that is.... Since then, it has been nothing short of a nightmare. blower motor and ignotion switch have gone out. fuel pump went out. the whole front end took a ****. had to replace 14 parts in the front end alone. (which isnt exactly uncommon for vehicles, just merely stating that it happened) reverse lights keep going out. headlights go out randomely. (FCM has something to do with that) Weird electrical issues now with wipers coming on randomely and sometines not working at all. high beams wont turn on or off randomely. got a power steering leak on the hose at the front of the radiator. power steering pump went out. water pump went out. Going through coolant at an alarming pace all the sudden. have an exhaust leak for a second time now. motor is burning oil for no reason all the sudden. got a vaccuum leak somewhere... There is more that Im forgetting to. So just wiat, itll happen to yours eventually. or maybe you will get lucky... But point is, that blower motor and ignition switch problem isnt just happening to a few people. Its a very, very, very common problem on these 3rd gen Dodges. They should absolutely do a recall on this.

Quick Reply: Burnt wires on ignition switch