3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electronic Throttle Control problems?

Old 06-20-2011, 06:57 PM
sobeejoe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Throttle Control problems?

I just bought a used 04 dodge ram 1500. Test drove it a few times and the truck ran great. no problems until we took it home. The electronic throttle control light flashes and check engine light comes on. It throws the codes p2175 and p2106. The truck does not rough idle, but when gas pedal is pressed the truck either 1.dies, or 2. feels like its going to die, and takes off really fast. I would like some input as to what we can do to fix this? is it a simple fix?
the mechanic where we bought the truck just resets the codes, and tells us it is the "aftermarket air intake" but I think thats BS.
Thanks

Old 06-20-2011, 08:23 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh yeah, that would be BS. I would highly doubt it's the CAI, unless there is a problem with it, which isn't very likely.
First thing I would do is carry the truck back to where you bought it and MAKE them fix it! Resetting a fault code is NOT fixing a problem and any mechanic knows that!

The P2175 is usually generated when the throttle body itself has been neglected to the point it's so gummed up with recirculated evaportated oil (thanks federal emission standards) that it cannot open and close properly. Recommended maintenance is to clean the throttle body every 15k miles or 30k at the most if the truck is lightly used. My bet is that the throttle body has probably never been cleaned and is a gummed up mess, something most dealers would check for in one of those "21 point inspections" they do when you bring it in for an oil change and certainly something that they should check for prior to flopping one over for resale. A throttle body dirty enough to generate a CEL on a used vehicle purchase would be a red flag that the vehicle was NOT maintained well by the previous owner, so I'd be planning a FULL tune-up in the not-so-distant future.

This code can also be generated with any major air restriction anywhere from the air filter to the MAS inside the throttle body, so check for a very dirty air filter or possibly an obstruction in the CAI. But I'd just about bet the ranch on a crummy, gummy throttle body.

Do a search, lots of threads about cleaning the throttle body, plus a DIY in the FAQ section. But again, you just bought the thing, MAKE the place where you bought it worry about it...

The 2106 is a generic code that will trigger when any ETC system code goes off, so in all probability, fix the P2175 and the P2106 goes bye-bye with it...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-20-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:44 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Methinks that "mechanic" is just a wrench-puller.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Kellypeck007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle body cleaning

I have a 2005 Dodge 5.7 hemi. Every so often it stalls out, hiccups, and backfires. Yesterday it barely ran. I read about it here, poured in Lucas fuel injector cleaner. I'd used a different brand and like the results; bought the jumbo size.
Talked to my mechanic friend in Houston (I'm in Philly). He told me to remove the air intake duct/hose, get throttle body cleaner, and spray it onto a rag and clean up the butterfly valve and housing. Oh, I used up 3 rags which are now full of greasy crapola.
Started 'er up. Ran rough and died a few times, then, after about two minutes, it idled at 640, with A/C to check load at 620. Ran 20 minutes, no problem. Shut it off for 7 minutes, re-start and drove without a hiccup.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control problems?