3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

SuperChips Trans issue w Power Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:57 AM
VaderPainter
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SuperChips Trans issue w Power Wagon

I have had a SuperChips programmer for about a year now and have not had an issue with reprogramming until now.

I did the latest SuperChipsdownloads and then reflashed my PCM and the trouble began. I set it to 87 Octane and did set the shift points to the center of the range and I noticed a erratic shift into and out of 3rd and overdrive. I drove it for a couple of days before I set the shift points to the lowest settings, while this seemed to help it still seemed to shift to hand and would hang up coming out of overdrive and slip going in. I set it all thee way back to stock and the damage was already done. I pulled the trans yesterday and found that the od clutch and 4th were toast. I am going to rebuild it this week on my spare time at work. T

hank God I work at a Dodge Dealer now.

Has anyone else had an issue similar to this with their 2500 or Power Wagon trans after reprogramming? It is possible that the trans was just onits last leg and the harder shift just pushed it over the edge but I had drove it for about 3 months on full performance with the shift points set the same or a little higher...

Robert Bean,CMAT

Old 12-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had you been having any trans problems prior to this?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:51 AM
VaderPainter
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting prior to flash

No I was not having any issues. Fact is the truck was set to tow for some reason. I had thought I had it set to 87 but must have changed it a couple of months ago when I was towing a friends car home on a trailer I borrowed.

For at least a year the truck had been programmed with either the Performance or to 87 Octane whengas prices started climbing with no issues. I do think the shift points gave me issues way back when I first did it but nothing like this and were corrected once I dropped them back to the lowest settings. It was more a hard shift than a slip, slam shift or hang up ondecel...

Robert E Bean,CMAT

Old 12-04-2008, 10:53 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know, but I'm taking my truck to Ga. tomorrow for some hunting over the next week or so and was going to do an update and maybe try the "Mileage XS" tune just for the trip up and then go back to "Performance" when I get there.
As my truck is performing flawlessly right now, you got me scared to F*CK with it! I may just leave it alone...

Quick Reply: SuperChips Trans issue w Power Wagon