3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stalling / Low Idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 02:17 PM
HedleyLamarr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling / Low Idle

I have an '03 4.7 1500 with almost 51,000 miles on it and it seems to idle really low, and seemingly as a result has stalled out a few times, yesterday being the most recent. It's happened about 4 times, with maybe 10K miles separating them. I've taken it to the dealer and had it looked at, but they can't find anything wrong. I also asked them if I could get it set so that it idles a little higher, but they said with newer computer controlled cars these days, that can't be done

I thought that maybe my Flowmasters might have something to do with it, but I don't know, seeing as the dealer installed em

does anybody else experience this?

Old 07-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Scratch
Rookie
Default RE: Stalling / Low Idle

I have the same question about the Hemi. Mine idles around 600 RPMs. Is this normal? Every car/truck I've owned idles at 900-1100 RPMs. I thought it was odd.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:58 PM
SlopMeister

My 4.7 idles at around 600, sometimes as low as 500, but it has never stalled out.

I notice that if I turn the wheel at low idle, the RPMs will drop, but the engine will rev itself a tiny bit to keep from stalling. It's pretty weird because that little rev up will cause the truck to lurch forward a bit if the truck is in gear.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:16 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

With 51K on the clock I'd pull the throttle body and give it a good cleaning. Be sure to get all the carbon out of the IAC valve area which is probably where your problem is. BTW, IAC is Idle Air Control vavle. It moves in and out to adjust the amount of air going past the pintle.

Quick Reply: Stalling / Low Idle