3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel play

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 08:40 AM
w1ck3tt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by w1ck3tt
Are tie rods related to the 'death wobble'? I've been trying to fix that for over a year, and still cant figure out whats causing it! I'm certain I need new wheel bearings up front btw. However, I don't think bearings would cause the quick loss of steering when hitting a bump above 30+mph....

I just realized that I dont' have the 'death wobble', as I saw a video of someone having it on youtube....that is certainly not what I'm experiencing! My issue is, when driving about 30+mph, if the wheel is perfectly straight going over a bump (more noticable on bridges) nothing happens, but if the wheel is slightly turned either way, then when hitting that bump, or seam in the road, the wheel just takes off in that slightly turned direction. If you are not quick to catch it then the truck veers off in that direction! I've been looking for steering stabilizer for a 2wd, but they don't seem to make on for an 08 2500....

Old 07-27-2012, 10:57 AM
p38251
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check all your front end parts. Drag links, you replaced outer tie rods? check the inners. Steering box. Excessive play in one or a combination of parts may cause what your issue. Let us know what fixes it.

Quick Reply: Wheel play