3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 Ram stalls in the heat of Phoenix AZ

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:21 AM
outadaredj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Ram stalls in the heat of Phoenix AZ

Twice, my mom has taken the Ram down to Phx, and both times the truck just stalls out when she was climbing out of the valley. The temp has been above 100 degrees (of course) there lately. Furthermore, on both occasions, it stalled out climbing the same hill. She had to wait about 20 min before it would fire up again, and thankfully, both times it brought her all the way home.

Speaking of home, they live in the mountains of AZ, and it’s considerably cooler there. A hot day is 98 degrees, and no problems with the truck, ever.

Phx is about a four hour drive away, and all down hill going there, but all up hill coming home. I believe the heat must have something to do with it.

So far we’ve heard it maybe the EVAC can or converter or coil or some sensor or gas cap not working and even that devil’s canyon just has bad mojo.

I would appreciate any and all input. Thx…

Old 07-28-2011, 10:19 AM
adventurer
Professional

when climbing where was the temp gauge on the truck marking 1/2 or 3/4 or what ?

Old 07-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming you or they must live in Prescott or Flag. I grew up in Glendale.

As far as the truck goes, as long as the temp on the engine remains near the "normal" running temp, it should be OK.

You need to find out if the PCM is setting any codes to help narrow it down. It sounds like something is simply getting too hot and killing the ignition, or fuel pump.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:08 PM
outadaredj

Hey guys, thx for the replies!

I'm trying to get more details on what happened. As it were, I was not there, and getting mom to explain the play-by-play is like getting her to copy files to a USB thumb drive over the phone (took me about a week to walk her through that one...).

All I have right now is that someone stopped to help the first time it stalled, and told her to open the gas cap the release the pressure. It seemed to work, but 20 to 30 mins had passed by the time he pulled up. The same amount of time she had to wait the second time...hmmmm.

&BTW, they live closer to Show Low then Payson...

Quick Reply: 06 Ram stalls in the heat of Phoenix AZ