3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

whine from transmission under slight load????

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:43 PM
joecool67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question whine from transmission under slight load????

Hi... I have been searching and finally found a 2007 dodge ram 4x4 with the hemi. Have been enjoying the truck for the last couple days, and have noticed a whine when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. Thought it might have been radio whine or alternator. Shut radio off and noise still there. So tried to duplicate in driveway in neutral. Can make it happen sitting still in driveway, in neutral, slight throttle. Had someone else stand outside truck while I duplicated noise. Could not hear it at engine area with hood open, but stand at side of truck by passenger or drivers door, can hear noise. Suspect possible from transmission. Was wondering if this is a common item with these trucks. Vehicle has 76,000kms. This is my first dodge, have owned 3 gmc Z71. Always wanted 3rd gen truck with the hemi mds. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the site. Some guys do report trans whine and have reported nothing bad from it long term other than the whine. Check your fluid and replace your filters as you normally would.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:30 PM
joecool67
Smile

Thanks for the reply. I have made an appointment at the dealer since I found out I still have warranty. The advisor said the only one ram that came in with a noise, was the torque converter. I will let you know what they find with mine.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:17 AM
joecool67
Smile

Up date: Just saw the dealer and they confirm that the noise is from the torque converter and pump area in the transmission. Parts on order and all under warranty. Now that transmission will be done, all I have to worry about is changing the fluids in the diff's and transfer case.

Quick Reply: whine from transmission under slight load????