3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gas Gauge Issue - Got Stuck on Freeway

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:11 AM
bandroidx
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Gauge Issue - Got Stuck on Freeway

Hey all, i got this 2003 dodge ram 1500 v6 - 3.7L a couple of weeks ago as a family hand me down (my lease was up). My dad told me when I got it not to go under 1/8 of a tank because at 1/8 of a tank the tank is empty and the light will never turn on to tell you its low.

Well today i was just under 1/4 tank and it died on the freeway (on a slight decline, i assume that didnt help) and it was pretty rough, pouring ran, right on a bend and a tight shoulder, the trucks going by at 85mph in the slow lane was rough and made me decide to try to get this **** fixed than keep dealing with it. ( an absolutely amazing good samaritan eventually stopped and hooked me up with 5 gallons for the cost of the fuel! )

I put my bluetooth odbii scanner on the truck and torque is displaying -- for the fuel amount. Since the gauge works (just is confused about where the bottom is) i am guessing that the 2003 doesnt report fuel % via the odbii port. My last car (08 grand cherokee) did so i know the sensor/app support it.

Any ideas where to start? Is this definetly going to require dropping the fuel tank? I def. am not setup for that where i live currently, so if that is the only solution i might have to deal for the time being.

thanks!

Last edited by bandroidx; 08-10-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:30 AM
froy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This mite sound dumb but It would be easier to unbolt the box and lift it off. Then you can pull the fuel pump and make any changes and set it back in and test. Its hard to test when the tank is on the ground.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:56 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 There are only 4-6 bolts holding the bed down. Get a couple of buddies and lift it off. Make sure you disconnect the lights. The top of the tank should be very accessible.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just have to move it back, not right off so you don't need a large area to store it but you do need the buddies and disconnect lights as mentioned.

Quick Reply: Gas Gauge Issue - Got Stuck on Freeway