3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gas Cap & Error Codes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 03:01 PM
okse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Cap & Error Codes.

I"m pulling up codes that indicate a EVAP leak in my system. I've replaced the gas cap with a locking gas cap, but the lock is broken. I'm looking for purchasing a good quality gas cap. Can someone please link me to a good quality gas cap?

I've since replaced all clamps with metal screw type clamps before I go out and spend $200 for a new canister & solenoid.
Codes: 441, 440

Old 08-15-2011, 04:38 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lock has no bearing on the seal. Have you replaced any of the hoses on the evap system? I've read a few instances of one of the short hoses down there having a split, causing a vacuum issue. Mine throws a code once in a blue moon, but it goes away after a day or so and I never remember to look when I'm under it to see if one of those hoses has a hole or a split.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:54 PM
okse

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
The lock has no bearing on the seal. Have you replaced any of the hoses on the evap system? I've read a few instances of one of the short hoses down there having a split, causing a vacuum issue. Mine throws a code once in a blue moon, but it goes away after a day or so and I never remember to look when I'm under it to see if one of those hoses has a hole or a split.
The cables seemed to be OK with no cracks but this last time I checked one of the original plastic clamps was off and dangling there. I replaced all those plastic clamps with a metal clamps. I did not notice any clogs in the following, Evap canister, the Evap canister round, purge solenoid or the other round part connected to the purge solenoid.

I reset the code and hoping that this will fix the issue. Time will tell if the code comes back on.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 AM
mbaseball3
Veteran

I too chased the Evap leak bs. I bypassed the gas cap and hoses idea. Under visual inspection all mine looked brand new. I read somewhere about replacing the white valve plug on the charcoal canister under truck. $13 bucks at dealer fixed gas cap light. If all else fails, try that.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:20 AM
okse

Originally Posted by mbaseball3
I too chased the Evap leak bs. I bypassed the gas cap and hoses idea. Under visual inspection all mine looked brand new. I read somewhere about replacing the white valve plug on the charcoal canister under truck. $13 bucks at dealer fixed gas cap light. If all else fails, try that.
White Valve plug? Do you remember the name of this? I because I don't see anything white on either the round charcoal canister or the square charcoal canister. I have a 2003 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi

Old 08-16-2011, 08:16 PM
mbaseball3
Veteran

Mopar part # 04891685AB. Evap purge selonoid or something like that.

Quick Reply: Gas Cap & Error Codes.