3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake / wheel rub question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:19 PM
rewster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake / wheel rub question

I have an 04 QCSB 4x4 4.7 ram and I just bought it suuuuper cheap ($4800 with only 53k orig miles, just has scuffs and dings all over but no major damage at all). Runs great, sounds perfect, but from time to time I get a weird rub / grinding sound when going from a stop to accelerating. I went ahead and changed the front pads, rotors and calipers since my dad has an 03 and all thats under warranty at AutoZone.It all seemed perfectlly fine when taken off, but no better now. The fluid was dirty as hell so a full flush is in order this weekend, but my question is rear brakes?? Is this a common occurance? I can certainly change out those but is a hung-up rear caliper or a collapsed rear hose normal with this low of miles? Thoughts please, and thanks in advance.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:20 PM
rewster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE

Or possibly wheel bearings? Ebrake shoes? anything else?

Old 08-17-2011, 08:48 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you think the noise is coming from the rear brakes. I would check out the park brake shoes. I had two OEM sets where the friction material seperated from the steel shoe. They are not bonded very good. Also in the rear if you have the trac lock LSD. You may want to pull the diff cover and make sure the clutch pack retaining clips are not broken. In the front if you suspect hub bearings. There are tons of complaints on the boards about them. Including myself. I have put 6 on my truck so far.
Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Brake / wheel rub question