3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Elecrical HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 10:25 PM
mdrcasper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elecrical HELP!!!

Folks,

2007 Ram Mega cab.
I wired a amp to the factory stereo a couple of years ago and ran the remote wire from the cig lighter. It worked well and then all of a sudden stopped. The cig lighter does not work and the fuse is not burnt. Here is where I am pulling my hair out. The voltage at the fuse block and lighter is 10.2V. The amp is fine because the power light comes on with the remote wire ran to the + side of the amp. I checked my fathers truck and his votage at the cig and fuse block in 12+V. Could the low voltage cause the cig lighter and in turn the amp not to come on. If so what could be the cause and fix.

Thank you fellow Dodge owners!!!

Old 08-21-2011, 08:58 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Battery or alternator, probably. If the lighter can't draw enough current, it may not light. The computer may curtail several functions if the available voltage isn't enough.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:41 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Unplug your amp wire and re-check voltage. If voltage is still low, check running battery voltage. If that is between 14-15v then you prob have a short somewhere. A very mild short to ground can cause voltage influctuation on that canbus circuit. I'm hoping your amp is the problem.

If your amp is the problem verify that your amp is getting 12v+, if not, it'll try and draw too much from the remote causing all kinds of internal heat problems and start melting wires(via internally in the amp)

Last edited by dirtydog; 08-21-2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: Elecrical HELP!!!