3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Shocks Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 04:59 PM
SLT07ThunderRoad
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Shocks Replacement

I am 99% sure my front, driver side shock has failed on my 07 1500 4X4 Quad (30K miles). I have noticed a fluid puddle on the driveway, near the wheel, and can see fluid on the coil spring over the shock. If the coil spring is in ok shape, can someone please tell me if I can replace just my front shocks, or does the whole assembly need replacing (coil spring and shock, etc.). Also, is this a strut, or just a coil over a shock? When I search for parts on-line, I find listings for front shocks, and for entire assemblies.

Thanks-

Old 09-30-2011, 06:19 PM
ThunderWest

I got the same problem on the same truck. Little help?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:27 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a shock go in the first year when my truck was still stock after a day of hog hunting. Some severe trails, but nothing over a fast idle speed all day. Was replaced under warranty.

The stock shocks have a lot to be desired, IMO.

You can just replace the shock, you'll need a spring compressor (or at least a big C clamp) to compress the coil to be able to remove it and the shock...

Old 10-01-2011, 08:30 AM
SLT07ThunderRoad
Rookie

An update-

It was the shock, a total failure at 30K miles. The mechanic I go to confirmed what others have said, that the lower bolt is a nightmare to get off. He replaced the shock after removing it from the coil assembly.

What is up with the front ends on the 06 to 08 Ram 1500 4X4's? My 07 Quad 4X4 Hemi has now had tie rods, shocks, and a wheel bearing replaced with only 30K miles on the odometer. Is it a poor design, inferior parts, both? I am so disgusted with this truck.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:25 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

They changed a lot of the parts for '07, I know the tie rod ends are different on the '07s for sure. IMO they never got the coil over fronts right to begin with, but the '07s seem to be worse. Yeah, they ride more car like than the '02-'05 torsion fronts BUT you never hear of these problems with the torsion front IFS trucks.

GM did the same thing. I got a buddy with a '99 Cheby Z71, 170k miles and did a whole front end parts swap at 120k - ball joints, tie rod ends and he even had to replace the torsion bars (bad sag), but he has a landscape business on the side and works that truck pretty hard. His next door neighbor, by comparison, has an '06 Z71 and has had to pretty much replace everything you've had to by 40k.

DON'T USE FACTORY PARTS - THE MOPAR STUFF IS CRAP. Go Moog, Timken, etc. which are all greasable parts and you should get 100k miles+ out of them. EVERYBODY is cutting corners and they ALL have their inherent weak links. Fords heads on the 6.0 PowerJoke and Tritons are weak as hell and blow when modding with even mild HP gains, Chevy and Dodge front ends are weak as hell. IMO you get what you like and what is strongest in the areas that suit your needs and just swell up and upgrade the weak links either before they have a chance to fail on you or when they do. Hell, the upgraded components are gonna be cheaper than going factory anyway.

When I replace my truck, I'm going 2500, even if it's a gasser. The 4th Gen 1500s with coil-overs front and rear just do NOTHING for me. Yep, you hear the 4th Gen guys say how they ride like a Caddy, but f*ck that, it's a TRUCK, it's NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A CADDY!!!

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-01-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:07 PM
IowaHemi1
Amateur
Post Bad shock on 06 1500 4x4

I have a front shock on my truck that is squeaking. I only have 15,000 miles on truck. I do have the 2 1/2 inch leveling kit on front end. Do i need to replace just the shock or would something else be making it squeak? I have not noticed any fluid on the garage floor. Thanks

Quick Reply: Front Shocks Replacement