3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Who knows how to bargain with the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 05:30 AM
alikalantar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who knows how to bargain with the dealer?

Hello All,

I am about to make the plunge and drop my hard earned money on one of these beautiful pieces of machinery (2005 Ram 1500).
By far the best looking truck out there! I have many concerns about the purchase ( new model coming out, etc) but nonetheless will purchase soon.

I am trying to negotiate to get the best pricing. Every time I go to the dealer, the prices jump up because I keep seeing options I like.

At anyrate what is the lowest I can pay for this truck?

2005 Ram 1500 Laramie, 20 inch rims, sunroof, sports package and ofcourse the HEMI!

2 wd or 4 wd, still not sure.

Dealer said about 28k for the 2wd and about 32k for the 4wd.
This is the price they gave me, still havent drilled them down yet.

I was thinking of starting at $24,500 and ending up around $25,500.

Any bargaining suggestions?
Is this a realistic price goal?

Old 07-22-2005, 12:23 PM
BigBlackBeast05
Default RE: Who knows how to bargain with the dealer?

Do you have a trade in...becasue if you did you would have more leverage to deal ALOT more...I would this somewhere around 26,500 out the door is a resonably priced 4wd ram...my dad and me sit in the dealer for hours [sm=sleeping.gif]to get them to our price...you just have to be PATIENT and they will give you your price!!!

Old 07-22-2005, 01:10 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Or just go in there and say you want 1% below invoice and KBB for trade. I used to do it all the time. The customer really looks funny when you tell them that as a salesman. It's like, "what, I just sat in the other dealership for XXX time and you do this within 20 minutes?" You bring out the invoice book, show it to them and give them a print out of KBB trade in. Simple and takes a lot of the hassle out of it, for you and the dealer.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:31 PM
grt05

And then if they don't want to go that low get up and walk away and tell them there are a lot of other dealers that will. We've had a lot of success threatening to leave. We got up three times the last time we bought a car from a dealer and we ended up getting a good price.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:37 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just go in knowing what invoice is on the truck. You can find what it is through KBB or Edmunds. I want to say the difference between invoice and MSRP was between 15-20%, but I can't be sure. Good luck with your purchase.

Old 07-22-2005, 05:08 PM
05ramlaramie
Veteran

they told you as low as 32k for an AWD Laramie???

which package...the H or the cheaper J??

i dunno but when i bought my laramie H-package (AWD and 4x4) the list was a little over 41k without the 20" rims and bedliner and bug guard/nerf bars.

even after the rebates back in january i could only get it as low as 35,900 + the cost of the rim upgrade (1,295).

I know SLTs go for about 28-34...but i didnt think that laramies were that cheap.

Old 07-23-2005, 04:09 AM
alikalantar

Well I dont have a trade in and the cheapest I received is 22.4 with out all the goodies (non Laramie)
and 26.5 SLT with all the goodies (sunroof, leather, 20 in rims etc, infiniti, again non Laramie).

They told me 28k for the Laramie with all the goodies (2wd) and they said the 4wd was about 4k more.

I am still having a hard time finding out what exactly they paid for it. On KBB when I entered all the options it shows they paid about $1,000 more than what they told me the prices at the dealer. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

But 05 Laramie, leather, 20 inch rims, sunroof, sports package, Hemi, starts at 28,000 from the dealers I talk to now.
How much you think their cost is? What is the best deal I can get?

Old 07-23-2005, 12:11 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My truck stickered for 33.5, purchased fopr 25.5 witha KBB value for my trade in. Also got them to put in a bedliner.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:36 PM
RedSS454
Veteran

I got an 04 in 04 Hemi Sport (1500 SLT with the Sport and Chrome Appearence packages and other fancy doo-dads). Stickerd for around $40K and after some bargaining I got it for $28K with them throwin in an auto-start and alarm. Just go in their with a good idea of what you want to pay, and what the truck *should* cost. And hold fast. If they don't come down as far as you like, don't feel pressured to say yes. Leave. If they want the sale, they will call you back and try and make a deal. Shop around. Go to a few dealers if possible. The one major thing is don't setlle.

Chris

Old 07-23-2005, 04:40 PM
DonG
Veteran

There shouldn't be any negotiating to it while the employee discount - rebates is still going on. Make them show you the employee discount price on their invoice. Subtract the rebates from that and that will give you their bottom dollar. It they are one of the dealers who likes to add "dealer installed options" on all their vehicles and bump of the price...leave immediately and find another dealer who doesn't add their options. The best way to find out if you're getting a good deal is to shop at multiple dealers.

Quick Reply: Who knows how to bargain with the dealer?