3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Second trans cooler need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 12:32 PM
glwilliams58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second trans cooler need?

Can someone tell me if the stock trans cooler is adequate for towing with the 04 1500 (see sig).?I am preparing for a FL to OH journey with a 6000 lb trav trail and want to be sure I'm cool.

Would an aftermarket cooler simply replace the one that came stock or be in addition making two coolers?

Thanks.

gw

Old 07-24-2005, 06:09 AM
tazassape
Amateur
Default RE: Second trans cooler need?

You didn't mention if your truck had the towing package. I pull horse trailers quit a bit and always believed a cooler was cheaper than a transmission. I would add another or double the size of the existing one to be safe.

Old 07-25-2005, 09:44 PM
glwilliams58

taz,

This truck came with towing package and included the cooler. The impression I got from a local tranny shop (that could sell me nice cooler), was that he has found the Dodge stock coolers to be sufficient and has not been asked to add or replace them yet. He advised to see how it works after the temp guage is in place to monitor it and go from there.

gw

Old 07-26-2005, 12:27 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: glwilliams58

taz,

This truck came with towing package and included the cooler. The impression I got from a local tranny shop (that could sell me nice cooler), was that he has found the Dodge stock coolers to be sufficient and has not been asked to add or replace them yet. He advised to see how it works after the temp guage is in place to monitor it and go from there.

gw
Same advise I get from my Dodge mechanic. Not an oxymoron either. He knows everything under the sun when it comes to DC vehicles. He is also one of a few DC certified Viper mechanics in south Florida.

Quick Reply: Second trans cooler need?