3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drivetrain noise in 2H but not 4H

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011 | 03:01 PM
Stangmando
|
Default Drivetrain noise in 2H but not 4H

Hi folks,

I am having an issue with my 2002 Ram 1500 Quad (5.9). When I drive in 2H I get this annoying noise which sounds like a bunch of marbles in a tin can from under the truck. It is not there immediately when I start to drive, but it usually starts within 15-20 seconds. When I put the truck into 4H the sound goes away. Any ideas?

Old 09-21-2011 | 08:43 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

If you haven't changed out the differential fluids in a while now would be a great time to open up the front and rear diffs to visually check everything out in there. If you have the stock LSD you might find a few loose "c clips" in the rearend. A lot of guys have a whine only in 4x4 and it's usually something in the front, because in 2x mood the front is still spinning, but free wheeling. and when 4x4 is engaged it's under power and there's usually a slight misalignment with the front gears. But I don't know if that same theory can apply here, maybe as your front free wheels is out of whack and when it engages it lines up??? Are you able to tell if the noise is coming from the front or rear, or even middle of the truck?

Old 09-22-2011 | 06:56 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

check the chain in your transfer case, the gears may be getting worn out. I'm not sure, but I think you have dana diffs in your truck, which would preclude the "c-clip" problem with the American Axle diffs----you'll have to check to be sure, someone else may chime in here to correct me. I'm guessing either transfer case chain, or one of the cardigan u-joints on the drive lines

Old 09-22-2011 | 10:38 PM
gordie580
Professional

i had something just like that a month ago. Mine turned out to be an exhaust holder was loose and hitting the drive shaft. When i put it in 4x4 the lever moved the part and kept it away from the drive shaft.

Old 09-23-2011 | 12:11 PM
Stangmando
|

Originally Posted by gordie580
i had something just like that a month ago. Mine turned out to be an exhaust holder was loose and hitting the drive shaft. When i put it in 4x4 the lever moved the part and kept it away from the drive shaft.
Thanks for the clue Gordie580. I just did some exhaust work prior to this starting and didn't think they could be related at all. I'll take a look tonight. What "part" are you referring to?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain noise in 2H but not 4H