3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Differential taking a crap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My front driveshaft has a little bit of rotational play in it, maybe about 25 degrees (I suppose that would be around 1/2 inch). Everyone I've talked to about it says it's normal (including 3 shops). But I don't have that clunking noise your talking about, and last month when I was in my front diff I didn't find any looseness in the gears. I've got the 3.55s as well.
Now I did have that routine clunk up to last year when I had all the original U-joints replaced. I've got more noise now, but that will be taken care of soon when I get some new CV axles and wheel hubs to replace the current ones with 193,500+ miles on them.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:39 PM
Kevno6
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Caseys-dodge;2607833]My front driveshaft has a little bit of rotational play in it, maybe about 25 degrees (I suppose that would be around 1/2 inch). Everyone I've talked to about it says it's normal (including 3 shops).

That is good to here. They closed up the differential and put new gear oil, drove it today and have not heard the noise. Maybe the oil just needed to be changed. I have never done it before.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:53 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevno6
They closed up the differential and put new gear oil, drove it today and have not heard the noise. Maybe the oil just needed to be changed. I have never done it before.

You are aware that the differentials call for a fluid change every 30,000 miles (15k with severe use) aren't you? And you were wondering why it made noise???

I did read on the net that 02-05 differentials have problems with premature wear.
I got a news flash for ya', ANY moving part will have problems with premature wear when you don't lubricate the thing!!! I'm sure wherever the hell you read that was from another genius who doesn't know the definition of the word MAINTENANCE... Yeah these trucks have known issues, but the differentials are not one of them. Now the LSDs, that's another story...

Oh well, hope the fluid change is all that was needed, you might luck out...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-29-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Kevno6
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about not knowing that. Truck has been out of warranty for a long time and I have never done that myself before. Like I said I am not a mechanic but I can do the simple stuff but now I see how easy it is to do the differential fluid. Thanks for the lashing!!!!

Old 09-30-2011, 08:22 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry about not knowing that. Truck has been out of warranty for a long time and I have never done that myself before. Like I said I am not a mechanic but I can do the simple stuff but now I see how easy it is to do the differential fluid. Thanks for the lashing!!!!

LOL, I wasn't lashing. But it kinda gets old reading post after post from guys who have failing components and blame the truck when they've not done the required maintenance on the vehicle. Not you, just a cumulative effect.

You want that thing to remain trouble free and not cost you big bucks over the long haul, READ the owners manual and do the required maintenance at the designated times/mileage that the engineers who designed the thing spec. They know a LOT more about that vehicle than you or I do...

Quick Reply: Front Differential taking a crap!!!