3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Security System problems :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 04:14 PM
gbales87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Security System problems :(

Hey everybody I want to start out by saying that I have been looking on the internet and on this forum and have found nothing that helps yet. I did even see a post on here that stated by connecting the battery cables together and letting them sit for 2 minutes that, that would fix my problem but it didn't. So now to the problem, yesterday evening I went down to my truck to go hiking with a friend and while trying to get into my truck I noticed that my key fob (wireless key unlocker/locker) wasn't working. So then I tried unlocking the truck manually which made my alarm go off, but my key fob wasn't working so I couldn't shut it off. I tried everything, but eventually it just turned off. Then the real fun stuff started, later I came back and turned the truck on and I thought all was well but after like 3 seconds of being on, the engine shut down and basically turned itself off. Now the darn thing wont even attempt to turn over but the key fob works, all the lights work on the dash, horn, etc. I use my truck for my job and could really use some help, anything would be appreciated guys thanks.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:02 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You need to hone your searching skills. 5 seconds here and I found 29 threads on the topic of Security Shut Off or Immobilizer and 5 seconds on Google found 511 hits...

Start here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ont-start.html

Old 10-02-2011, 05:15 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you were holding the battery cables, did you remember to hop on your right foot while holding your left ear lobe in your right hand? Makes all the difference in the world! (Sorry, couldn't resist).

On topic - I sure am glad I don't have a security system in mine. Good luck with the problem.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:00 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gbales87
Hey everybody I want to start out by saying that I have been looking on the internet and on this forum and have found nothing that helps yet. I did even see a post on here that stated by connecting the battery cables together and letting them sit for 2 minutes that, that would fix my problem but it didn't. So now to the problem, yesterday evening I went down to my truck to go hiking with a friend and while trying to get into my truck I noticed that my key fob (wireless key unlocker/locker) wasn't working. So then I tried unlocking the truck manually which made my alarm go off, but my key fob wasn't working so I couldn't shut it off. I tried everything, but eventually it just turned off. Then the real fun stuff started, later I came back and turned the truck on and I thought all was well but after like 3 seconds of being on, the engine shut down and basically turned itself off. Now the darn thing wont even attempt to turn over but the key fob works, all the lights work on the dash, horn, etc. I use my truck for my job and could really use some help, anything would be appreciated guys thanks.
Gbales,

There was a recall on some of these vehicles for a wireless control module flash dealing with the alarm system. If you want to PM me your VIN I can check if this applied to your vehicle.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:14 PM
farmerbrock
Default I have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 same problem

I have an 06 ram 1500 an the truck wont crank but all the lights come on an security light is flashing i was wondering what i could do to fix this problem instead of bringing it into the dealership?

Old 09-20-2019, 03:34 PM
Onokai
Default Re: have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 same problem

I'm having the same problem with my 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7. I had a mechanic take a look and told me it's my fob key. So I bought two blank cut fob keys and turns out he can't pull the pin code. He had his locksmith come by and he also could not pull the pin code to program the two blank fob keys. Now both tell me it's the ECM. I already replaced the ECM a month ago and the ignition switch. So I searched for info and found out it's the wireless control module (ECM). Expensive part. I'll be buying a WCM and program it and all my keys. I'll let everyone know the outcome.

Here's what I found and hope it helps:

FAQ - TSB (08-007-08) - 2006-2008 CHRYSLER WCM NO START

0votes

NUMBER: 08-007-08
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: March 04, 2008
SUBJECT: No Engine Crank Or No Engine Start Due To Electronic Lockup Of The WCM / SKREEM

This bulletin involves the replacement of the Wireless Control Module (WCM). The WCM is also referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM).

Problem:

The customer may experience a no engine crank and/or a no engine start condition. Also, the remote keyless entry (RKE) system may not operate.

This condition may be due to an electrostatic discharge (ESD) from the ignition key into the Wireless Control Module (WCM), causing the WCM to electronically lockup. This condition may occur more frequently in dry and/or cold weather conditions where a sufficient electrostatic charge is more easily produced. This condition is corrected by the replacement of the WCM.

Until the WCM is replaced, the WCM may be reset (unlocked) by either: disconnecting and then reconnect the battery negative cable at the battery, or by removing the IOD fuse (with the key out of the ignition switch), waiting 30 seconds, and reinstall the IOD fuse.

Solution:

DIAGNOSIS:
1. With the vehicle in the no crank / no start condition, connect the StarSCAN scan tool to the vehicle.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, and power up the StarSCAN.
3. If the WCM is electronically locked up, the StarSCAN will display the WCM as being off bus.
4. If the no crank / no start condition is present, and the WCM is off bus, then reset the WCM by temporarily removing the IOD fuse (with the key out of the ignition switch), waiting for 30 seconds and then reinstalling the IOD fuse.
5. If the above condition has occurred, and if the part number of the WCM is earlier than the part number of the WCM listed in the parts list in the Service Bulletin, then perform the Repair Procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Replace the WCM/SKREEM. Refer to TechCONNECT for detailed service information. From the Service Info tab select: 8 - Electrical > Vehicle Theft Security - Service Information > Module, Sentry Key Remote Entry > Removal and Installation.

NOTE: After a WCM/SKREEM is replaced, the ignition/transponder keys need to be programmed to a new WCM/SKREEM. Follow the directions on the StarSCAN. The transponder key for the SKREEM/WCM and the RKE will be programmed during this operation. There is no need to program the fob of the key for RKE functionality once the transponder key is programmed to the new WCM/SKREEM.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Security System problems :(