3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

shock question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 07:00 PM
spock-mckoy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation shock question

Hi, I have a 2002/2500/4wd/5.9L gas/52k miles. I have never replaced any of the shocks yet. I'm thinking of replacing all 5. The horizontal shock on the front, on the stabilizer bar -- does this have a name? I'm trying to find a replacement and I just want a good shock. I don't need some neon thing under there, it is a work truck, not some off road warrior. All of the dealers have been shut down near my home. Any web sites/suggestions would be helpful. THANKS!!

Old 10-02-2011, 07:10 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The 5th shock is called a steering stabilizer, I've never replaced the shock in one, but they are cheap enough, just get another steering stabilizer.

As for shocks, Bilstein and Rancho are pretty much the Caddy of 4x4 shocks, with Bilstein being about the high price point. Rancho makes great steering stabilizers too.

For the budget, 4 Wheel Parts is always running a "buy 3 get 1 free" sale on Pro Comp shocks. They are made by Tenneco (parent company of both Rancho and Monroe) and are decent shocks for the money (about $30 a pop if you get the buy 3 deal). I'd go for the ES9000s in Pro Comp, they are nitrogen shocks and are a heavier damping for a 3/4 ton truck. The Pro Comp MX6 shocks are basically generic Rancho 9000s and are adjustable for firmness, but are about double the $ as the ES series shocks. Pro Comp also makes a steering stabilizer that is also very inexpensive and is made to compliment their ES series shocks.
Skyjacker and Rough Country are also popular inexpensive shocks, also generic, white tubed Tenneco shocks and are identical to the Pro Comps.

A lot of people turn their noses up at the Pro Comp ES shocks, and I'll admit they aren't Bilstein or Rancho quality, but at $30 a pop, they aren't $90-120 each either.

I spent the jing and put Rancho RS9000XLs on my truck (and even on a hell of a sale were $85 each), but on my Grand Cherokee I did the ES3000s (the lighter vehicle, hydrogen filled equivalent of the ES9000s) and as a daily driver with some mild to mid off-roading for camping/fishing/etc. there is absolutely nothing wrong with them...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-02-2011 at 07:14 PM.

Quick Reply: shock question