3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 ram 1500 a/c receiver drier

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 05:55 PM
chuckymite
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 ram 1500 a/c receiver drier

hey everyone.

just a quick question. i noticed today a black canister in the engine compartement (i have googled and think its the ac receiver drier?) is wet on top like water is spraying out, sometimes when i stop the truck its sounds like there is a hissing. am i right in thinking tht it is the ac receiver drier and hould it be doing this?

if not is it a hard job to replace, it looks like you just disconnect 2 hoses seems pretty simple.

appreceiate any advice. everyone has been awesome for my other threads.

thanks
ANdrew

Old 10-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your AC system is in use and depending on the outside temperature, it is normal for there to be condensation on the AC drier and some of the AC coolant lines. The hissing noise after you turn the truck off should be normal as well as the high pressure in the AC system balances out. Does your AC work well and cool the inside of your truck well?

Another note, since the entire AC is a sealed system with R134 refrigerant, it should not be serviced or disconnected unless the R134 is properly evacuated by a repair shop with proper AC equipment. Environmentally this stuff shouldn't be released in the air if it can be helped. But on the other note, it's also not a good idea to disconnect the lines or open the system up yourself due to the possibility of contaminants getting in the system and causing havoc and much bigger repair bills in the future. Any AC certified shop that replaces any of the AC system parts (drier, compressor etc) will do a complete system purge and vacuum test for at least 30 minutes up to 2 hours to ensure the integrity of the sealed system.

Quick Reply: 04 ram 1500 a/c receiver drier