3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear end squeaking/grinding

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 03:43 PM
jk360
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end squeaking/grinding

Hey guys, been awhile since I posted. My 2003 1500 with the hemi and 3.92 gears has started making a weird squeaking/grinding noise after its been driven for awhile or on the highway. I only notice it when going slow and turning, or when driving in reverse. Its much louder in reverse. I know these rears have problems with the c-clips in the clutch packs but i wasnt sure if this was the cause. Any help woukd be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Musikman

Check your U-joints first on the rear driveshaft.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:25 PM
freestyledude
Captain

x2 ^^

Also, I've found these trucks are bad for scattering noises, sometimes it helps to narrow down where the sound is by having someone else drive the truck while you listen for the noise outside. Once I could've sworn I heard a noise from the driver front when it was definitely found at the passenger rear.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Willy McNasty
Rookie

Yeah, odds are your rear U-Joint is all dried up. Possibly you went through some water & washed it out? Mine started squeaking. I pulled it off & it was all rust colored. Pretty easy fix & you can put a greasable one in place of it. You shouldnt have the problem again.

Quick Reply: rear end squeaking/grinding