3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can I put my Durango engine in my Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 07:40 PM
JayDee240
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I put my Durango engine in my Ram?

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram with a bad engine. I have a 2000 Durango with a bad tranny, good engine. Could I put my Durango engine in the truck without having any major mounting problems? Both engines are 4.7'S The Durango has a 45rfe Tranny. The truck is a 46r something or another. I noticed a few of the wiring connectors for sensors are different, but that shouldn't matter because the parts are all interchangeable as far as i know. A garage has both vehicles, I'm not going to do the work myself. I'm giving up on trying to be a mechanic with these newer vehicles... I'll stick to carbureter from now on.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:24 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The truck has either a 45RFE or 545RFE (same trans, different programming). There may be a difference with the reluctor wheel (for the crank sensor) between the years. Otherwise you can swap the sensors over from the newer engine and its all plug-n-play.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:42 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The crank tone wheel and cam tone wheels are different 16T (older one) vs 32T (newer one). I don't think it's as easy as swapping sensors but I don't know for sure. I think at very least you're looking at pcm swap/piggy back, but more likely you'd actually have to swap the cranks and driver's side cam shaft.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:46 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

No, not a direct or easy swap. The tone wheels need to be swapped out from one engine to the other which requires some dissessembly. This has been discussed and might be found through a search.
It kinda sucks, but that's the way it is unfortunately.

Quick Reply: Can I put my Durango engine in my Ram?