3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

If your buying a Volant air intake...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 02:55 AM
dtlowry
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If your buying a Volant air intake...

Not a real big deal but I thought I would warn anyone who is buying the Volant air intake that you will be required to remove your factory fog lamp if you are planning on using the optional drop down ram air tube that is offered with the system. It is an extra $100 for this approx. 5" tube that drops down and faces forward of the truck to take in cold air. Guess where it is designed to connect, yep, where your passenger side fog lamp is if you purchased the fog lamp options when you bought your truck. I didn't find this out until the custom exhaust shop told me when he was installing it with my new exhaust (he showed me the instal- note that said you may have to remove the lamp if one is installed). I am going to try and keep my fog lamps and create a modified bracket or something to hold the end of the air intake tube up just under and a little behind the bumper so you cant see it. I will probably cut the tube in half and add a short flexable section in the middle of the two pieces. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. And if anyone knows if it makes enough difference to have that tube for the cold air instead of the engine compartment air please let me know. Maybe its not worth the trouble to modify it slightly and relocate it.

Old 07-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Avanti
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: If your buying a Volant air intake...

Okay, were it me here is what I'd do...

I'd leave the lights where they are and cut a new air intake in the right side of the fake plastic air intake block-off just above the chrome part of the bumper. On my ST there is nothing behind it but a lot of empty space. I would fab and paint to match (probably flat black would do) an aluminum connector to transition between the shape of the new above-bumper intake (oblong or rectilinear-ish) above the bumper and the round intake hose or tube. Some securing brackets would also have to be fabbed. Since I do a lot of fabrication, this would be no big deal.

If done well no one would even notice the change to the block-off piece.

Just my $.02

All the best.

Something else... the noted location would be slightly higher than a "light" intake, but if concerned about sucking in water and potential hydrolock (and probably a new engine at ones own expense), there are valves made specifically into the air tract to the filter that open if pressure change shows that water has entered the outside air pickup. The only problem is that the last I looked at these for another application none were quite large enough in diameter for a typical V/8 since they were originally developed for "ricers" (no disparagement intended). However, it is rather simple when given enough room (as with the Ram) to fab a twin-tube system with two smaller hoses/valves that would do the job and give assurance that if one encountered deep water (at least anything below the valves) no damage would ensue.

Just another thought.

Quick Reply: If your buying a Volant air intake...