3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wondering if/how I should clean my fuel injectors??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:44 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wondering if/how I should clean my fuel injectors??

Ok, so here's the scoop. I KNOW it was quite retarded, but I just now recalled that a few years ago I was low on gas and VERY low on cash, so I grabbed the ol' chainsaw gas can with mixed gas in it and poured it in so I could make it to work. Truck has been running fine and everything, but I thought I heard at one point that the 2 cycle oil can clog the injectors...just wondering how I should go about cleaning them...also I have 80,000 miles and have never cleaned them, should I clean them regardless of the 2 cycle oil that may be in them??

Thanks (as usual)

Old 11-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't the Seafoam trick do the job? I've always used it in the gas tank, but there's a way to get it in much closer to the injectors, some vacuum line I think, but I've only read about it, never seen it done so I'm not sure exactly where it's at.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:35 PM
1stG92
Professional

Heard waaaay too many horror stories with seafoam.Next fill up use Lucas.Can even add a bit more than whats called for wont hurt it a bit.Ive used it in all my cars and trucks for years and will swear by it....STP fuel treatment works well also but,use Lucas about once a month EVERY month at fill up...As far as using mixed gas it wont hurt your engine but will make it run like **** for a bit,lol....Good luck!

Old 11-09-2011, 10:48 PM
boosted-fc3s
Professional

I've run seafoam thru every vehicle I've ever owned. Never had a problem with it.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:17 PM
NoLimitzR1
Professional

Denatured alcohol will work well also. It makes great dry gas as well and fuel line antifreeze. I use in all my engiines as a cleaner

Old 11-10-2011, 01:27 AM
NV290
All Star

I use Marvel Mystery oil once a month or so. My truck is getting ready to turn 100,000 miles and i have not noticed any drop in performance or fuel economy since i bought it new. So i woud guess my injectors are fine. I am still annoyed that Dodge opted to not put a fuel filter on these trucks.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:10 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by 1stG92
Heard waaaay too many horror stories with seafoam.Next fill up use Lucas.Can even add a bit more than whats called for wont hurt it a bit.Ive used it in all my cars and trucks for years and will swear by it....STP fuel treatment works well also but,use Lucas about once a month EVERY month at fill up...As far as using mixed gas it wont hurt your engine but will make it run like **** for a bit,lol....Good luck!
Yeah, I've heard both good and bad about seafoam and marvel mystery oil...lots of good, but the bad things that have happened make me kinda skeptical about using it. I know the mixed gas won't hurt the engine...how could a little extra oil (that's not in the crankcase) hurt, right??? My only concern was the clogging of the injectors...and the truck never ran rough or anything even with the mixed gas in it...maybe there was still enough gas in my tank that diluted the oil quite a bit more than the 50:1 already and the truck didn't even notice the oil in there...it was just something that popped through my head since I am getting ready to change plugs and filters and all those things that mildly affect MPG so it made me think of clogged injectors, and the 2 cycle oil

Old 11-10-2011, 05:56 AM
RSDodgelover
Professional

I have had 4 fuel injected Dodge trucks with a total (so far) of more than 500,000 miles logged on them and only use fuel treatment occaisionally with no noticable degradition of performance or economy. My only precautions have been to buy my gas at reputable stations that I believe sell a lot of gas to insure it being fresh and NEVER get gas when the tanks are being filled so I don't get the moisture or trash that might be stirred up because of it.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:56 AM
MikeHTally
Champion

Originally Posted by 1stG92
I've heard NO "horror" stories about Sea Foam. I've used it many times often with very good results, sometimes with minimal results. I do the full treatment once a year and put a can in the gas about twice a year.

OT, not sure if the mixed gas will hurt anything. It would seem the injectors would not like the 2-cycle oil.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:58 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've often found that those with "horror stories" have over-used the product. Used as the manufacturer states, almost all of these products are safe.

Many people run TCW3 (marine grade 2 cycle oil) in their gas to provide extra lubrication that the ethanol in the gas removes with EXCELLENT results - claims of better idle, better 1/4 mile times and better fuel economy are not rare. BUT again, like anything else - there is a ratio of 1 oz. per 5 gallons of gas that should be used or you will foul injectors, plugs and even the cats. Used in the proper ratio you get benefits from it.

I have used SeaFoam, MMO, Lucas' Tune Up in a Bottle and Chevron's Techron all with good results.

ALSO, I've been buying non-ethanol gas whenever I can, but it's getting harder and harder to find and the only guy with it close to me doesn't take credit cards, so that's a PIA.
So for the last few months I've been using Starbright's StarTron product in my vehicles. I started using this product a couple years ago in ALL my yard equipment to remove the ethanol as I was getting tired of replacing primer bulbs and fuel lines every year from the ethanol eating them away. Ain't had to replace a thing or even touch a carb since I started using it, so I decided rather than riding all over trying to find ethanol free gas anymore, I'd simply use this in my vehicles as well.
Works great - better idle, better performance and both the truck and Jeep get about 1.5-2 mpg better (or about the same gains as when I was using ethanol free gas every fill-up)...

It's about $5 a bottle in standard concentrate (an 8 oz. bottle treats 48 gallons of gas) or $9 a bottle in super concentrate (an 8 oz. bottle treats 128 gallons of gas). I am sold on this product and use it in ALL my gas EVERY time I get gas. In the super concentrate we are only talking like a buck and a half per fill-up and the increased fuel economy alone more than justifies that, plus it's cleaning the system and getting rid of the harmful effects of ethanol to boot.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-10-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Wondering if/how I should clean my fuel injectors??