3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

after market remote starter question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:49 PM
monroedodgegirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after market remote starter question

If I start my truck with the remote starter it is fine all is good. If I start my truck the old fashion way and I don't use the remote starter the flashers on the outside go off when I hit the brake or have the truck in park. This happens when I am driving down the road also. All is fine till I hit the brakes. I have tried shuting off the flashers with the flasher switch but Iam stumped here. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:31 PM
monroedodgegirl

ok I should maybe clarify what is going on. I just took it out for a drive and as soon as I turned over the ignition the orange parking? lights started flashing and it sounds like a relay is going off inside the truck. The blinker is a faster relay noise and the hazards are also faster. It stops after maybe 10 seconds and starts again as soon as I step on the brakes. My hubby says this doesnt happen when he used the remote start on his key chain but I don't have one on mine because it is an after market starter. If you have any suggestions let me know or I guess I will have to secretly switch key chains.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:25 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to DF.

First, before anything else, please read this:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ra...s-section.html

I will move this to the 3rd gen section for ya.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:27 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds like the remote start is in Valet mode?? If you know what model remote starter it is you can download the manual or go in your starter manual and see how to disable it.
Did you just have this installed or did it just start happening out of know where? It's either an improperly installed remote starter or it's in an incorrect valet or programming mode. Generally when you use the remote starter, get in the vehicle and insert the key, the parking lights will flash a set number of times once the brake pedal is applied to alert you the exchange from remote started to key started. Maybe there's a programming default within the remote starter computer itself?

Most aftermarket alarm installer can diagnose your problem relatively quick and easy. Even if it doesn't do it for them and you can describe it like you are here, they may beable to tell you the problem and help you out right away.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:43 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some remote starters will flash the lights the entire time it's running under remote command.

Normally, pressing the brake pedal is what kills the remote setup and transfers you back to keyswitch control.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:20 PM
monroedodgegirl

Thank you very much. Rich i will check and see if I can find some info on the starter. We just purchased this vehicle 3 weeks ago and we didnt try the starter at the dealership because we didnt get that key till we signed the paperwork. Sneeky Sneeky Sneeky!!! Oh well we love our very first truck and I won the battle between the Dodge and Chevy that my husband likes.

Quick Reply: after market remote starter question