3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tried the Key trick to pull codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 08:55 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tried the Key trick to pull codes

Hey Guys,

I tried the key trick to pull p codes as I have some c codes and wanted to try to pinpoint any issues I may be having and not even know. Anyway, for some reason it is not working at all for me, but my main question is...before doing this, I could have SWORN that when I opened my door after turning the engine off, all the doors unlocked at the same time...and now they are not. Maybe I am just going crazy, and it really didn't do this, can anyone shine some light on this issue? Also I'm pretty sure the dome lights stayed on a lot longer than they do now, is any of this pertainant to my attempt of the key trick??

Last edited by HemiMoparGuy1981; 11-23-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:02 AM
HotFrmPhx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feeling cautious about the key trick

I tried the same thing also. I managed to pull up the error codes, but ever since then, the CD changer goes into eject mode and switches through all 6. This continues until I turn on/off the unit. As for the dome lights, they stay on much longer after exiting the vehicle, as long as 10 minutes. I've taken to turning on/off/on the alarm to turn them off quicker. In the future, I'll just have Autozone pull the codes for me. They do it for no charge in my area.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:01 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

On my '03, if you open the driver's door while the motor is running, only the driver's door unlocks. If you shut it off first, all the doors unlock. If a passenger opens a door before the driver's door is opened then opening the driver's door does NOT unlock all the other doors.

Your '06 probably has more variables to set. My '06 Chrysler has way more options for this kind of thing. You can probably set how long the head lights stay on, how long the dome lights stay on, etc., etc.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:38 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
On my '03, if you open the driver's door while the motor is running, only the driver's door unlocks. If you shut it off first, all the doors unlock. If a passenger opens a door before the driver's door is opened then opening the driver's door does NOT unlock all the other doors.

Your '06 probably has more variables to set. My '06 Chrysler has way more options for this kind of thing. You can probably set how long the head lights stay on, how long the dome lights stay on, etc., etc.
Yeah, that sounds about like mine used to do...not positive on the passenger door opening before, as I hardly have anyone riding with me. But it has been very irrtating to get out of the truck and go to get something out of the back door and having to fumble for the key fob or open my door back up to press unlock. Not sure what exactly I did to eliminate that, and my dome lights seem to be on a lot less time now as well, and when digging for something I gotta keep closing then reopening the door to kick it back on.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:31 PM
adventurer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do u know how to set the time for head lights to stay on, how long the dome lights stay on ?

Old 11-25-2011, 04:17 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

I went through my C's manual. The settings are in the EVIC. I may have hallucinated about the interior lights. I couldn't find that, but the headlight stay-on is in there.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:59 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

I went through my C's manual. The settings are in the EVIC. I may have hallucinated about the interior lights. I couldn't find that, but the headlight stay-on is in there.
Ahh, well, see, EVIC is much more complicated than OTIS, or whatever. Maybe I am mixing them up, but I beleive EVIC is the high end very optioned/programmable, where as us with Dodges (as opposed to Chrysler), especially trucks, unless we are extremely loaded with options, just have the OTIS (maybe saying it wrong) that has a compass, thermometer, MPG and distance to empty...so MANY of ours is only programmable with a StarScan or whatever.

Sorry, I'm hoping I have the terminologies correct, but right now I've had a few adult soda's and a huge argument, so frankly may not be thinking clearly...but I KNOW I have the right ideas somewhere in my head whether it is coming out properly through my finger tips or not

Quick Reply: Tried the Key trick to pull codes