3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help, steering/tie rod/drag link issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 01:55 PM
mattgio
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, steering/tie rod/drag link issue

Hey everyone, my names Matt, first post here. Just got a new to me 2005 2500 Ram and I have a problem I was hoping you guys could help with. It has a 2 inch leveling kit and a skyjacker steering stabilizer. I was checking out the steering because it felt funny to me and found something I missed when I bought the car. The bracket that attaches to the tie rod for the steering stabilizer is hitting the differential when turning left. The skyjacker stabilizer is installed correctly, so what could be the problem? It has taken a gouge out of the cover on the diff and I am not going to drive it again until I fix it. Anyone else have the same stabilizer? Could my tie rod end be bent somehow?

sorry for the pictures taken in the dark. I leave for work and get home in the dark, and im not driving the truck until I fix this problem.

So I have two problems. First is the steering stab problem.
Here you can see where the bracket has been hitting the diff
Name:  p4.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  54.4 KB

If I turn the wheel left it will hit here (looking up from bottom)
Name:  p3.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  58.2 KB
Name:  p2.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  45.8 KB

My second problem is with the bolt shown a little toward the upper left of the picture. This is on the passenger side. Here I can see the bolt head moving when I turn the wheel left and right, and that rectangular piece of metal that is sticking out and pointing down and to the right moves up and down. I think this is causing my clunking noise when I turn the wheel. What could be the problem here? What is that flap of metal?
Name:  p1.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  53.9 KB
Name:  p5.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  57.8 KB

Help is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to using my new truck and looking forward to learning alot for you guys on here.

-Matt

Old 12-20-2011, 07:21 AM
mattgio

Any ideas?

Last edited by mattgio; 12-20-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:37 AM
mattgio

Ok how about this, If i want to replace all the tie rods drag links ect, what parts do i need?

Quick Reply: Need help, steering/tie rod/drag link issue