3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

More steering rack, CV axle problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 05:51 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More steering rack, CV axle problems

This past June, steering rack blew up. I replaced it with a Duralast rack (limited lifetime). About a month ago, I noticed the right side boot was really twisted up and torn. I assumed it was because of the alignment I had after the rack install and figured the shop guys didn't loosen the boot when they did alignment.

I also noticed my right CV axle boot was blown apart with axle grease everywhere (explains the popping noise I sometimes heard when turning). 2 weeks ago, I did the new rack boot, and the CV axle (which was a nightmare because of it rusted up to axle shaft), and a new hub/bearing assembly which cured some highway vibrations. Took it in for another alignment, all was well.

Today leaking fluid out of the right side boot like crazy. AND the cv axle appears to be blown up again...grease everywhere. Needless to say, I'm super frustrated.

Have you guys heard about bad steering knuckles causing these problems? I read this...
Mechanical grief with our Dodge began with the replacement of the rack and pinion, upper control arm, along with the upper and lower ball joints, and the tie rod ends. To top it off with an alignment. Thinking all was well with the truck now, we were severely wrong. Was making a sharp right turn and heard a loud popping noise come from the front right passenger side. The boot on the rack and pinion was twisted, ripped, and leaking large amounts of power steering fluid. We've replaced the rack and pinion three times within the month thinking we kept getting faulty rack and pinions. Nope, this last time it got really scary because the steering actually locked up when I was pulling into the shop. But finally the shop discovered that the steering knuckles are busted which is causing the tire to turn too far ripping the rack and pinion boot and popping the seal. Because of the steering knuckles being faulty its busting the rack and pinion wich is draining the power steering fluid causing the very expensive, very dangerous domino effect.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:54 AM
T-Muns
Veteran

Sorry for the long post. Could the steering knuckle be causing my CV and rack to blow out? Seems odd that as soon as I change out the CV axle, it blows and the rack does too on the same side.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A defective steering knuckle causing the wheels to turn too far or too tight????
I have no first hand experience with that situation and don't recall reading that anywhere on here.

Does your truck seem to make good, and tight turns? I'm afraid to make U-turns in my beast unless I have 3 lanes or 2 lanes with a good sized median in the middle because I won't make it without coming up on the outside curb.
I wonder if your 3" body lift has caused any of these problems by changing the angles of parts?
Sorry I can't help here, just throwing out some things, hopefully someone else will pick this up.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:23 PM
T-Muns
Veteran

Thanks for the info. It does make pretty decent turns. I actually read another post about people grinding out the stops on the knuckle to give them a little more headroom before hitting the lower control arm. I noticed mine are ground out a little.

I'm wondering if my steering shaft is the problem. I had to replace it because it was scary bad. The moron who put this body lift on didn't have the right steering shaft extension so he just pounded the "D" end into the square end. Long story....but I ended up doing the same thing to another shaft and it ended up being a little off. I'm wondering if that allows too much turn to one side...thus blowing things out of the right side.

Quick Reply: More steering rack, CV axle problems