3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Airbag light on after battery disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 04:57 PM
david
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag light on after battery disconnect

After disconnecting the battery, the driver side airbag light stays on. Nothing else was changed and all was ok before. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 12-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

What were you working on while you disconnected the battery? The Airbag module is inside the cab, at the bottom of the center section, below the radio and heating controls, right at the floor board. The fuses for the Airbag system is in the fuse box and they are installed in a weird looking mount - I guess so they won't accidentally be unplugged, they are a PITA to unhook but they will actually stay in the mounting bracket thing so they won't be lost. Depending on what you were working on, check the wiring by the module and the fuse box.

edited for proper terms!

Last edited by Caseys-dodge; 12-30-2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: sorry, I had ABS on the brain last night
Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 PM
david
Amateur

Originally Posted by Caseys-dodge
What were you working on while you disconnected the battery? The ABS module is inside the cab, at the bottom of the center section, below the radio and heating controls, right at the floor board. The fuses for the ABS system is in the fuse box and they are installed in a weird looking mount - I guess so they won't accidentally be unplugged, they are a PITA to unhook but they will actually stay in the mounting bracket thing so they won't be lost. Depending on what you were working on, check the wiring by the module and the fuse box.
Was checking fuses under the hood for towing lights. The manual said to disconnect the negative side to the battery. Did not find any fuses blown.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:53 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ABS and the airbags are not the same. The driver's side bag has a specific indicator?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

D'oh! Yeah I don't know why I typed that, just replace all of my ABS with SRS aka airbag system. The Airbag control module is at the bottom of the center dash below the heating controls, and the airbag fuses are the ones in the funny looking mount in the fuse box.

I spent half the day yesterday fighting with our fleet maint. team why it was and is a bad idea that they put a junk yard ABS controller in my work truck yesterday to save a thousand dollars. The other day it took nearly 2 truck lengths to stop because there was some mud on the passenger side tires - but I was going less than 5 mph looking for my address.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:24 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyway, back to the original issue. Are you sure it's a driver's side airbag indicator? My truck just has an airbag indicator. I wonder if the clock spring got disturbed somehow?

Old 12-30-2011, 10:57 AM
MoparPaul
Veteran

The factory default for the PDC is to have the airbag fuses in the "up" position. If you connected the battery and the airbag light is on then just open the PDC cover and push down both fuses (obviously while negative battery terminal is disconnected).

Old 12-31-2011, 04:55 PM
david
Amateur

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
Anyway, back to the original issue. Are you sure it's a driver's side airbag indicator? My truck just has an airbag indicator. I wonder if the clock spring got disturbed somehow?
My mistake on drivers side. You are correct on only an air bag indicator!

Old 12-31-2011, 04:58 PM
david
Amateur

Originally Posted by MoparPaul
The factory default for the PDC is to have the airbag fuses in the "up" position. If you connected the battery and the airbag light is on then just open the PDC cover and push down both fuses (obviously while negative battery terminal is disconnected).
I am out of town in another vehicle. Just wanted to let you know, your answer sounds like the solution. Will let you know ASAP...Thanks!

Old 01-01-2012, 05:02 PM
david
Amateur

Originally Posted by MoparPaul
This was obvious after seeing your reply. Now I have to figure out the reason my towing lights are not working on the right side which caused the problem to begin with. I am guessing now a relay module. See you just have joined the forum..Thanks!

Quick Reply: Airbag light on after battery disconnect