3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Abs

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:41 AM
detroitss
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs

Hello,
2008 Dodge Ram Sport QC 4x4 Hemi.
Well we had some snow on the ground and I got a chance to test out the ABS which dosent work LOL. Anyway when you turn the key ON abs light comes on. It stays lit on the dash till you start the truck and then goes out like on any other car with ABS. Light never comes on when driving so to me it means there are no codes or problems. The only problem I have is it slides and ABS never kicks in. So does my truck have ABS or did it come ABS free with a light for some reason. My buddy had a 07 RAM and he said his didnt have abs. Please school me on this issue. I know Chrysler did lack safety and standard option untill few years ago. Also could it be disabled or something.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:02 PM
hyperjay
Rookie

It's most likely only rear wheel ABS as most trucks are. The fronts will lock up, but the rear won't. (rear abs prevents the rear end from sliding around on you) You won't feel a pulse in the brake pedal either. It's normal.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:07 AM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

Yeah, my 02 just has rear ABS only, which is a freakin joke. I guess it only prevents the rear from sliding out during [I]moderately hard[I] stops. But it's pointless if you have to emergency brake and the front locks up and slides out. Check your mini build sheet sticker in the glove box - that might say if it has 4 wheel abs or just rear wheel, if it doesn't show your VIN to your nearest dealer for the full build sheet specs.

Countless times my front tires have locked up on me on rain slicked roads and I curse the stupid rear ABS only system. Have to just drive old school version and just always pump the brakes lol.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:45 AM
detroitss

Wow That is weird. I thought most 2000+ cars/truck came with ABS. I did hear that some Chrysler products lacked ABS untill 2009. I did try to brake in the snow and front tires locked up. I have no clue about rear tires. I dont think they locked up but all together this setup stinks.LOL

Old 12-31-2011, 08:14 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of 'em have rear ABS, I believe. Four-wheel? Not necessarily.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:30 AM
irocrthauler

With rear (only) ABS they are useless in 4X4 mode (with part time). The front wheels l
ock up and (due to the mechanical lock up of the front and rear driveshafts) it causes the rear to lock as well. Mine work well in 2WD mode though. HTH