3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Defrost problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 01:02 AM
zomboneinhd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defrost problem

I have a 2003 Ram 1500 4.7L V8. It's a work in progress to say the least. It was bought used from an owner that really didn't know how to take care of a truck, much less keep up regular maintenance or drive it for that matter. Anyways:

So when I turn on the heater, if the **** is turned all the way up to the hottest setting, it never gets warm. It just stays ice cold. I'm thinking it might be the switch, but it could be any number of things causing that.

When the defrost is on, I only get minimal heat or air out of the defrost vents. They eventually do get warmed up and defrost the window, sometimes. Thing is, when the defrost is on, I get strong air out of all of the front vents. I figure that it's the Blend Door, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Any suggestions?

Old 12-31-2011, 03:43 AM
Lifttruck
Rookie

Broken blend door and or air diverter in the heater plenum.

http://heatertreater.net/Dodge%20Product%20Page.htm

Old 12-31-2011, 11:52 AM
zomboneinhd
Default Repair question

How hard is this to fix, really? I've never completely took out the dash to work on it. Is it a hard fix?

Old 12-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Lifttruck
Rookie

Originally Posted by zomboneinhd
How hard is this to fix, really? I've never completely took out the dash to work on it. Is it a hard fix?
There are videos on the Heater Treater site. Just follow the link I posted and click on the range of years that apply for yourthe Ram in the site. There will be a series of vids posted outlining the repair. I personally haven't done this repair as of yet. Hope that helps!

Old 12-31-2011, 09:36 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zomboneinhd
Dealer book time is like 8hrs. It's def time consuming for such a simple part. You'll save a bunch of money doing it yoursself.

There are a few youtube video's and written do-it-yourselfer's online.
There is a service manual in the faq section which does step-by-step instructions for remval/installation of the heater elements such as heater core and blend doors.
I would highly suggest replacing the heater core if your tearing things apart!

Old 01-01-2012, 01:38 PM
zomboneinhd
Default Save money is a great term

Yeah, the Dodge house is out of their minds here. They told me to fix it that it would cost $750 for just the labor. Their idea of a cheap part is in the $60 range. I found one for $35 on eBay. Also, anybody need a overhead console?

Old 01-01-2012, 01:40 PM
zomboneinhd
Default RE: Advice

Thanks for all of the help! I found the videos and it does look like a pain. It makes me want to just deal with the problem by closing the front vents, lol.

Quick Reply: Defrost problem