3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking for input on a new truck...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Robstar
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for input on a new truck...

Hey guys, first post here. I've been browsing the forums for a few weeks trying to learn about these trucks as I really wanted one, now I'm finally ready to buy. I found a 2007 Ram 1500, 4WD, 4.7L, quad cab for sale for my price range. It is a salvage title but I was able to get the truck on a lift and inspect the frame, all is straight with no signs of repairs or tampering. The interior has some minor imperfections like a stain on the back seat, some scratches on the dash, and the blower motor makes a loud vibrating noise when its on 4. I was also curious about the 4.7L engines. I have heard they are made by Mercedes and aren't very strong engines? Input? This truck only has 36k miles on it and I'm looking for a truck that will last me a long time. How about the transmissions? Good? Weak? We are planning on purchasing a small 16'-18' camp trailer in the future and this will be towing it. He was asking 14500 and I got him to 15000 with taxes, title, licensing, etc. Does this sound like a fair price?

Thanks for any advice or links you can point me to! This is a really clean truck I just want to make sure it has good stuff.

Robbie

Old 01-26-2012, 10:23 PM
hilljason88

I'm not too familiar with value of that truck, but the general rule of thumb is rebuilt titles should cost about 70% of what the same car in a clean title would bring. Also make sure the vehicle has already been cleared as rebuilt, because in Georgia a salvage title means it still has to be fixed, inspected, and a good amount of paperwork before it can be registered and driven.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:36 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I just ran everything through KBB.com (you should also) and here is a link but it came to be 14-15k and thats on a non-salvage titled truck so there is now way I would pay that for a salvage title. Despite the reasons, it was junked for a reason.

http://tinyurl.com/7rwrqto

Old 01-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Robstar
Amateur

Ya that first truck was definitely not worth the price! I found a 07' Hemi 1500 with 55k from the original owner, clean title, trailer brake, bed liner, and super clean for the same price. All it needs are some new tires ($100 for used set from a local seller) and a driver side wheel bearing. I guess the wheel bearings are pretty typical to go out around 50k? I watched the tutorial on Youtube from 1AAuto and am going to tackle those this weekend. Other than those things I love this truck so far!

Future plans include leveling kit, new window tint, exhaust, tuner, and CAI w/ heatshield.

Attached Thumbnails Looking for input on a new truck...-img_0205.jpg  

Quick Reply: Looking for input on a new truck...