3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Battery Died, Jumpstart, no Fuel, No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Dsull
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Battery Died, Jumpstart, no Fuel, No Spark

2003 2500 Quad-cab 4x4 5.7

Hoping someone has some better insite.

Truck ran like a champ before this.

Replaced a DPF on one of our 379's and was using my truck for a stereo. Finished the install, loaded up and went to leave and had a dead battery. One of the guys pulled around and hooked up the cables, went to jump, motor spins, no fire.

Checked fuses, relays, all good.

Truck will almost start with a little ether, but don't feel like risking trying to run it. Key codes showed P0685 (ASD) and P0522. (Oil Pressure)

Replaced Battery, truck spins fine, no fire, Code P0522 still with key, but the P0685 is gone. With the ODBII is getting no codes from PCM, but it is also not showing anything wrong with the connection.

Dealership says I probably toasted the PCM, wondering if there is anything else I can check. Fuse box looks great and tested ok.

Hope you guys are more helpful than the other forum I floated around. I'm about ready to put it on a flatbed and haul it to the Dealer.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:54 PM
matthew baker

i had the same prob with my 96 ram 1500 and it i could not get any spark. my prob was my crank sensor was bad and not reading right. idk if this is the same prob but i thought it was my pcm wasnt that, try checking that and let me kno if it helps you. good luck with everything

Old 01-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Dsull

I'll check that. I haven't checked it yet. Thank you.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Dsull

If it ends up being the PCM has anyone ordered one from a good reman?

Was looking at solopcms.com.

Was hoping there was somewhere like wester's tuning for GMC (Got one for my Envoy.)

Old 01-30-2012, 09:33 PM
rbrumm
Veteran

I had good luck with auto computer exchange. Found them on ebay.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Dsull

Well, Ordered new PCM from Solopcms, installed it. Thankfully the once dead relays are now working and codes are gone. Truck starts on ether, but no response from fuel pump. Power coming out of box, no pump function.

Any specific pump that I should order? And is there a fuel pump shutoff on these trucks?

I'm going to be ordering the pump tomorrow, hoping for some input.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:22 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Codes are gone because the codes were stored in the old PCM...
The first question I would ask....Are you sure you have enough gas in the tank? Ignore the guage for a minute...Put a few gallons of gas in the tank and prime the system by turning the key to On position for 5sec and then Off a couple of times and try to start it.
Only other thing is to check for fuel pressure on the fuel rail. There is a schrader valve(looks like a valve stem cap) on the fuel rail that you can push in and see if there's pressure. careful, 55psi is typical so use a towel to cover up the valve when pressing the plunger in. I'd prime the syetem once or twice prior to checking for rail pressure.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Dsull

Codes were stuck in dash, old ECM would not respond to my Solus, but the codes were still showing up with Key. Relays were not clicking.

Filled truck on my way out to the truck. (Fat kid needed a monster, and fueled since I was there.) Also the reason I'm hoping something else is wrong instead...

New ECM, no CEL, relays clicking, truck will fire with Ether, no pressure at rail on gauge, and through Solus, pump not coming on at all (no sound, no vibration). Relay sending power from Fuse panel, but can't get harness off tank to check for power there.

Coming from Chevys just want to make sure there are no surprises I'm used to replacing fuel pumps on those.

Also is there a better pump than oem that I should put into this?

Old 02-02-2012, 10:53 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok. Atleast you know you have fuel and def seem to recall it..lol
Kinda sucks you have to drop a full tank down to get to the pump...

I'd first make sure the wiring is in good shape before you start tearing stuff apart. Check the power at the fuel pump plug as well as the ground! I dont think I would go searching for the cheapest pump out there, but choose the best priced name brand because of the extent of the job. RockAuto has goos prices even though they arent all that cheap to begin with.

Quick Reply: Battery Died, Jumpstart, no Fuel, No Spark