3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering Wheel Column Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:51 PM
neonarc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Column Noise

Hey everyone,

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Steering Column Noise that I just bought with 48k miles on it. Since I bought it it's been making a clicking scraping noise in the steering column just behind the steering wheel.

It only does this when the wheel is moved side to side quickly or over rough pavement such as cobble stone that makes the wheel move. It even does it with the truck stopped and the engine off.

Today I decided to take a look so I removed the shrouds and moved the wheel side to side to replicate the noise. I felt the clockspring assembly just behind the wheel, the multifunction switch and also the intermediate shaft as I moved the wheel. The only part I could "feel" the noise thru was the multifunction switch. No other part would even slightly move or have any vibration felt thru it when doing this.

Video of Noise

So now I am planning on replacing the multifunction switch but first I have 2 questions. 1, is there anything below the switch that can be making the noise and not be felt on the shaft? 2, Is it possible to remove the switch without removing the wheel and clockspring?

I searched but did not find anything definitive on this.

So ive been looking around and reading the service manual and i feel confident i can remove and replace the multifunction switch myself. i can get a loaner steering wheel puller from the parts store.

However, after looking some more at the switch, i think it may be possible to remove it without removing the wheel. I will give it a try this weekend.

Name:  DSCN1720.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  112.1 KB

Name:  multifunctionswitchremoval.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  33.4 KB

the parts store has the switch for nearly half the price as the dealer and it looks identical to the stock piece on the outside. I'm only worried that it won't have the tap turn signal that makes it blink only 3 times.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Column Noise