3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering wheel completely locks when hitting water puddle

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:51 PM
viperblueram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Steering wheel completely locks when hitting water puddle

Hey guys im just curious because my steering wheel locks in the rain when i hit a puddle. Like this problem WILL cause an accident. I called my local dodge dealership and they literally told me "oh this is the 5th call today" i said ok so whats the deal then? He said its due to water getting in the steering belt. I asked him and no freaking recalls???? What is going on??? Anyone have experience with fixing this??

Old 02-03-2012, 10:19 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I would check the tension on your tensioner pulley as well as the belt itself. My car used to do the same thing. When I checked the tensioner, it was good, but wasn't keeping proper tension on the belt because someone had put a longer belt on, plus the belt looked old and kinda dry. I changed the belt which placed the tensioner further out(more tension) and it solved the problem. I also used some mild sandpaper and sanded down the pulleys as well. When the pulleys are shiny(glazed) they dont grab the belt as well and allow slippage which is the problem your having.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:07 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich is right ^ replace your serpentine belt and you should have no problems..my truck does the same thing as you. There is no underbody shield to protect our pullies so you lose power steering when all the water gets on the pullies/belt. Grab a Goodyear Gatorback belt, they seem to be the best quality!

Old 02-06-2012, 03:42 PM
viperblueram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Sweet! Ill try that. Thank you guys!

Quick Reply: Steering wheel completely locks when hitting water puddle