3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Idle drops when turning steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:04 PM
CodeBlox
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checked the power steering fluid level and it is actually at the "add" line. This was without driving the car at all. There is a "cold" and "hot" line and the reading shows neither, it stays at "add"... I drive the car around for a bit and warmed it up. Checked again and it was still at "add". I hope I checked it properly. Could I be leaking PS fluid?? I don't see any on the ground in the drive way. I can also hear a "humming" or "whining" noise as well. I've seen it drop as low as 250 RPM. For some reason, it wouldn't go that low today. I hadn't done much driving either. Also I tried to call them. They didn't answer the phone... Kept on ringing and ringing. I'll try again in a bit. If need be, I'm going up there.

And here is the video for you guys to see what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYQf_i1EnCE

Last edited by CodeBlox; 02-15-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:34 PM
CodeBlox
Professional

BUMP... Could these problems ( loss of HP and the idle dropping ) be caused by the possible low fluid level? I checked again today and did so in the street, out of the driveway to be sure to get an accurate reading. I hope I did it correctly but it's still showing at the "ADD" line on cold. Do I just pour some more fluid in there to proper level or does it need to be flushed? For some reason, pepboys isn't answering the phone. Must be busy ( and thats scary ) so I haven't been able to verify what they put in the power steering reservoir.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

I'm not sure how different the fluid dynamics of gunk brand power steering fluid versus ATF4 tranny fluid are. But if pep boys did use that power steering fluid and it is making your PS pump run a lot harder, that could be a reason for the idle dropping. In theory we could say that the PS fluid is a lot thicker and it's causing extra strain on the PS pump which would bog down the entire engine, possibly.
If you're having trouble getting a hold of pep boys, if it were me, I'd go buy 2 quarts of ATF4 and get all the questionable fluid out of the PS system and fill it with ATF. Ideally bring it back to them and make them flush out the system with ATF4 and then fill. But if you do it yourself try to get all the old fluid out.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:48 PM
CodeBlox
Professional

I should also add to this that there is a noise that sounds like a marble is rolling on the floor sometimes when I take off too. I had not had this happening before all this either. Did some googling and thats referred to as "pinging". And while I'm driving, every now and then on the way to work, I hear a "thooop" noise. Maybe it goes "Doooop".

Last edited by CodeBlox; 02-17-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:47 AM
hillbilli
Veteran

When you check the fluid, is it red or clear/brown? Red is ATF+4, clear-brown is PS fluid. I do beleive the PS fluid is thicker than ATF. Also, by doing a flush, they could have potentually dislodged gunk and debris that may have gotten stuck in the pump or gear box. I would verify the fluid they put in, then take it back to them and show them what the manual says for fluid and make them fix it and hope that it hasnt done serious damage to you pump or gear box.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:39 PM
CodeBlox
Professional

The stuff in there is clear red but, it does smell a little off. The fluid smells a little "electric" or something... I really don't want them touching my truck anymore as they may do further damage. I'll probably end up finding some other mechanic.

Quick Reply: Idle drops when turning steering wheel