3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Caution from a negligent owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:59 PM
RSDodgelover
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Caution from a negligent owner

I am confessing that I have been negligent in the PM on my 05 1500 QC. I didn't check my serpentine belt or replace it in time. I was in the middle of nowhere and heard a significant noise under the hood and a whipping sound. I immediately stopped and checked under the hood to find my serpentine belt shredding on one edge and the pieces wrapping around the fan/water pump. I was LUCKY and was able to tear/cut the pieces wrapped around the fan away and then limp back to civilization to get it replaced. I will NOT in the future neglect to check belts and hoses. On the positive side I did get 116,000 miles out of the original belt.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:04 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fan belts dont just go in one shot, you get enough warning sounds let leave you woundering Fan belt or water pump..

Belt tensor was a issue on mine, as tension wasnet being kept on the belt.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:18 PM
showtimeweber
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this same thing happened to me in my 98 never paid attention then bam my serp belt is shredded had to milk it to oreilly with what belt i had left last time i ever did that

Old 02-14-2012, 11:22 PM
arani rey
Amateur

Mine did that last summer and one of those chunks put a little tiny bump upwards in my hood that angers me everyday.. I am the only one that can see it though..

Old 02-23-2012, 11:43 AM
gcburkett
Veteran

My belt came apart yesterday on my way to work. I took it to a local shop and do they really get you on the part charges. The Belt Tensioner was 127. That seems way high from what I can see on web site.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:31 PM
ALLDATAdiyINFO
Former Vendor

Ouch, that's an expensive tensioner. I always keep a spare belt with me, they always give it up out of town.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:13 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Originally Posted by ALLDATAdiyINFO
Ouch, that's an expensive tensioner. I always keep a spare belt with me, they always give it up out of town.
Yeah, that's about twice what it should've cost. When I bought my truck (at 87K), I also bought a belt. That was 30K and almost five years ago. That new belt is still in the bed. It'll be there when I need it, I guess. The OEM belt still has no cracks or splits.

Last edited by MikeHTally; 02-23-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 PM
gcburkett
Veteran

I probably should have checked the belt better. I don't know why shops stick it to you when you have an emergency repair. It was $600 for the belt, tensioner and two pulley's. I don't know how they come up with $250 for labor seems like an hour job at the most. They charged at least twice for what I could get the part for at NAPA. This is a job I certainly would have done myself if I had the truck at home. I guess the good part is that it did not happen this weekend while I towing the boy scout trailer to camp. I was driving the truck because the rear struts in my dodge stratus when bad and I was waiting on parts. I put the broken strut in tonight hopefully have time for the other tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Caution from a negligent owner